Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

My new website 'www-go-indonesia.nl'

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Dear Joomlabamboo,

Me: newby at Joomla and want to upgrade my subscription but I need some help:

- I am thinking of using your Base3 template (I'm using Joomla 3.3.6 and XAMPP on my latop and want after completing my website upload this to a potential hostprovider).
- Use of website: Go Indonesia is a touroperator which specializes in a niche market (customdesign tours to Indonesia for Dutch, Australians and Americans with a -colonial- Indonesian heritage).
So the website should:
- be multilangual
- graphical (photos and small videos)
- stylish and elegant
- easy to use (also for the elderly)
- easy to upscale/extend (e.g client portal)

From 14 december - 10 januari I shall make a promotour for Go Indonesia and shall make a great deal of photos/videos using a Nikon cooplix L120 camera. Please advise what is the best format (pixels) for photos to use in my website (carousel/full screen) and how to incorperate the videos madeon my camera.

Another possibilty would be to host my website (as you can do as well?) and let a proffesional of Joomlabamboo help me to create and maintain the website.

I have tried to built the website myself before (using Base3) but had to deinstall Joomla and start again. I have nowa "clean" new site.

Please tell my what (template/extensions) to download, in what order and how to install them.

Thnx, Joomla newby Edward.
GoIndonesiawebsite.jpg
  • Edward Brouwer
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 14 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Edward,

Photos wise its best to shoot in as high a resolution as possible - its easy to downsize images but not upsize them

You also never know how the images are going to be used - not sure if your camera has camera raw or similar but I'd use that format if possible

Photo Storage is cheap so buy a few/lot of medium size camera cards e.g if one fails you reduce the damage
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by manh.
We don't host sites I'm afraid - we use siteground as our host
There is a coupon in the membership section if you are interested in pursuing using them
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by manh.
Photo and videos - its a case of using a plugin or module to display them

It would also depend on how you wanted them to look and where in the case of videos they are stored e.g. youtube, vimeo etc
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Regarding

- be multilangual
- graphical (photos and small videos)
- stylish and elegant
- easy to use (also for the elderly)
- easy to upscale/extend (e.g client portal)

You can do all these although you may need a certain level of expertise - also not quite sure what you mean by client portal

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thnx Paul for your respons,

I want a multilingual website based on the Base3 template. I am using Joomla 3.6.6.
What should I do?

- Find a good multilingual extension (do you have a suggestion?) and install this first?
- Then install the Base3 template (with zentools and zenkit module)?

Thanks for your advise,

Edward.
  • Edward Brouwer
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 14 posts
Hi Edward,

Multi - lingual how are you intended to generate the different languages content?

Its Joomla 3.3.6 at the moment - just for future reference
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Zenkit isn't essential - zenkit is a series of k2 templates are you planning to use the k2 component?

With multi-lingual I'd make sure I was familiar with the basic structure and operation of Joomla first

www.siteground.com/tutorials/joomla-video/build-joomla3-site/ offers a series of tutorials for free

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
as a photographer / web developer perhaps I can add my 2 cents?

Your images - if you want total control of quality - should be shot as Paulus103 suggested, in Raw format. Photoshop, Lightroom, and the like all read 'camera raw' files, which are like digital negatives. You can do a lot with a raw file, and when you save it, the file will be converted - without overwriting your camera raw file.

Image sizes: currently, I generally save online versions at 2200px wide or 1350px tall at 72 resolution. That will fill the screen on almost all large monitors and oversize tablets. Mac Retina can handle more.... but almost no one can tell the difference, other than Google, who may de-merit you for overweight page loads.

Online Joomla viewing: You need a component for processing which can generate a module for display. By far, the most flexible is Zentools, which you can get right here. As a backup, I sometimes use Simple Image Gallery Pro, which has an excellent media uploader built in. SigPro only does galleries....Zentools does galleries and just about everything else.

Multi-lingual: you will need to add a plugin, and there are quite a few good ones - many of them free! - available on the Joomla Extensions Directory.

OK, that was 8 cents worth. Double your money back if not satisfied.
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by blueshift.
The following user(s) said Thank You: manh
Excellent value :)

Thanks for the contribution - enjoy your weekend :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks for this usefull help!

Gr, Edward.
  • Edward Brouwer
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 14 posts
I am going trough the tutorials right now and (Akeeba) backuped my site before messing with templates. Also usefull is the /?tp=1 url extension to locate positions.

Wkr, Edward
  • Edward Brouwer
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 14 posts
Yep very wise

I use akeeba and backup whenever I make any big changes

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Paul,

Can you help me with getting my menu items placed to the right of my menu (see printscreen)?

Thnx
Attachments:
  • Edward Brouwer
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 14 posts
In the template settings click on the layout tab and scroll to the bottom

Menu alignment is there

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Dear Paul,

Works like a charm...I am originally an Oracle plsql programmer but will not be tempted to override php template files.

The site is structurally sound so I would first like to try to make it multilingual.
So as I understand there are multiple items to be translated and should switch in the desired language if a language selection is being made (either a click on an icon like a flag or select a language from a dropdown list).
Theres no need for automated translation. The content will be translated by me in 3 languages (Dutch, English and bahasa Indonesia).

But what about texts on modules like the breadcrum/menus/carousels/logo (=html) etc.?

I see there are a number of free Joomla extensions on the web but I am asking your advise what is the best way to go....

Thanks for your advice,

Edward.
  • Edward Brouwer
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 14 posts
Hi Edward,

I personally do it this way

www.templatemonster.com/help/joomla-3-x-configuration-multilanguage-site.html

But I will check on monday if the team have any other suggestions

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Dear Paul,

I've followed the instructions for the languageswitch in the link you provided and it works.
Iinstalled and created main menu's for 3 languages (English, Dutch and Bahasa Indonesia). At the time of first creation of the website there was only one language installed (English(UK)).

In the languageswitch (dropdown for now) I only see 2 languages (see attached screenprint).

This is probably because the current site is the English(UK)?

Even if I switch (Language manager) to Dutch as the default nothing changes. I would like to have Dutch as the default and English and Bahasa as optional (dropdown or flag).

Please advise...

Thanks, Edward
Languageswitch.jpg

Languageswitch.jpg
  • Edward Brouwer
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 14 posts
On the screenshot looks like you need to change the separator to _ in the zentools settings

Its a bit hard to troubleshoot multi language

language wise
You have all the language packs installed?

Menu wise
Do you have a menu item for home as "all"?

" Now you need to create a menu for every installed language and leave one additional for both languages. That is, if you have English and Portuguese installed, you will have to create menus both for English and Portuguese. Check, which of your menus is set to be the default menu (has a home icon). For example, if you have the Main Menu with the default menu item, you are going to use it for all languages, and additionally you will need to create two more Main Menus for English and the new language you have just installed. Go to Menus -> Menu Manager -> Add New Menu"

point 16 from
www.templatemonster.com/help/joomla-3-x-configuration-multilanguage-site.html

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul,

If I have a working language switch...i have (for know) 2 extra main menu's for Dutch and Bahasa Indonesia. But why do I need the original main menu (with the home symbol) and the extra 2 menu's?
At the moment the switch always returns to the homepage. It should switch to the identical page/article in the other language.

See attached print-screen for another question about underscores....(how to aviod them).

Thanks,

Edward
Underscore.jpg
  • Edward Brouwer
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 14 posts

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers