Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Modules showing up on hidden pages without permission

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Problem du jour -- I have a number of sidebar 2 modules in Portal that I only want to appear on the home page, but they insist on appearing on other pages, particularly pages in my hidden menu. I've toggled the menu assignment many times -- The only page they are set to appear is the Home page.

When I set the assignment to no pages, they disappear. When I set them for Home page only, they come back to my hidden menu pages, even though none are selected in the menu assignment.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Any caching on the site?

Are you using any other module management extensions?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
No cache and no external module managers
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi,

If you have pages linked from the homepage that do not have menu items (such as articles linked from zentools with no parent menu item) then they will show with the menu item id of the page they are linked from.
So if that is the homepage, then they will show with the same modules that are assigned to the homepage.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Ok, I can see that, but these pages are linked to hidden menu items, and since the hidden menu shows in the menu assignment lists of modules, I thought that I could control what pages (as long as they have a main or hidden menu assignment) upon which the modules appear.

But something else wonky is happening and I don't understand it.

www.bruce-king.com/trcnew

When you start from the home page, for instance, and select consultations from the main menu, you get a choice depending on who you are. If you select IEP Team you are taken to IEP Team page, which is in the hidden menu. This is where the unwanted home page modules appear. I want to get rid of them. If I change the menu assigments of these modules to No Pages, they do go away, but when I reassign them to the home page only, they are back where they are not wanted.

But here is the new thing -- if you select Services in BREADCRUMBS from this page, you get taken to a page that not only has all the unwanted modules but is a totally different animal from the Services in the Main menu.

Something buggy is happening, or maybe it is not buggy and I have screwed something up. Have I created a monster?

You guys are the best.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
It sounds like possibly you have changed links in the menu and not aliases so Joomla is confused

or same with aliases in articles

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi,

The IEP page is using a non-sef url that has no menu item id in it

www.bruce-king.com/trcnew/trcnew/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=175

So if there is no menu item id joomla does not know which modules should be assigned.
You need to look at how you are linking to those pages from this page
www.bruce-king.com/trcnew/index.php/services/consultations

Copying the link from the menu item will not work as that is not the full url of the page.
If you use jce editor it makes it a lot easier to link to different menu items.

Regards

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Thanks so much! I never would have been able to decipher it all. Will take a look at it and attempt to fix.

Does this explain what happens when selecting a page from breadcrumbs? Since I am not the one entering the url for it?
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
If you don't have the links set up correctly or old aliases in newer link this can happen with the breadcrumbs

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Getting there. I have realized with the link from breadcrumbs for pages accessed from the Services page, that when the page is accessed, Services appears twice in the Breadcrumbs. The first one is fine, the second one is screwed up.

I attach an image of it. Where can I get rid of it.

I know it has to do with how I put links in. I actually took my problem pages out of the hidden menu and put them in the main menu. I redid all the links in the pages and included the entire url of the page as accessed from the Main menu.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Are you clearing the alias fields (completely blank) so they repopulate with the new links?

Also can you re-attach as it hasn't made the journey

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Got it, went through and cleared all alias fields and now it works fine!
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Cool :)

Onwards and upwards

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers