Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

working with templates

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi - I want to change the template on one of my J2.5 sites.
However, I don't want to take the site down while I'm working on it.
I'm planning to create a new folder within the existing site in which I'll install Joomla 3 and the new template.
Can I use the existing database and image files for both sites at the same time?
Thanks
Ian
  • ianpanorton
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 1258 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Ian,

As J2.5 and 3.3 have different database structures you would not be able to share the same database.
Even if you could, the database controls which template is shown, so setting the dev site to a different template would also affect the live site.

Joomla 2.5 to 3 is a migration rather than a simple update.

I would advise backing up the current site with akeeba backup and unpacking it in the sub-folder and work on it there independently of the live site.

If you mean use the existing database alongside the current site then you would need to use a different database prefix to the existing site or installing the database would overwrite the live sites tables.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Hi Rob - thanks for getting back to me.
I was coming at it from the wrong end - it makes perfect sense to work on the old site in a sub directory :-)
Thanks again
Ian
  • ianpanorton
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 1258 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Best of luck with the upgrade!
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers