Support Forum

• Page:

1and1 and joomlabamboo

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi, i sign up because i want to use a skin from this site, however when i install it i get an error.

after a few searches it said to change to mysqlv5 so i double checked and its running on mysql5.
so how would i fix this?

if this is not fixable can i get a refund?
  • djtohkee
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 5 months ago by djtohkee.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The documentations regarding this error was referencing the PHP version not the mysql version.
This error means that your server is using php v4 while the Zen Grid Framework needs php5 to function properly. Often changing to php5 is a matter of adding a rule to the htaccess file on your site but it's best to ask your host for help in determining the best way to use php on your server.
Check with your 1and1 host and find out what version of PHP they are running on your specific server. If they are still using any version of PHP4, ask them to change it over to PHP5 or ask what adjustments you need to make within your server's root directory to make the switch.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Had this problem with a clients site 6 months ago - they also hosted with 1&1 :(
I had all sorts of problems getting 1&1 to properly move site to php5 - there system said php5 but it was still php4

We ended up moving host as they couldn't manage it - my experience 1&1 are the worst hosting company in the entire world

Also most people don't know that 1&1 servers are in Germany!
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Up to this post I have not received any bad reviews regarding 1and1 hosting. Other(s) yes, but not this one. I did find on their site where they have addressed the php4 to php5 issue via the .htaccess file that I mentioned above.

Please give this link a read;
faq.1and1.com/scripting_languages_supported/php/5.html
With 1&1 Linux hosting packages you have the choice between PHP4, PHP5 and PHP6. 1&1 Web Hosting packages use PHP4 as default for all .php files. For more information about PHP5. . .

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Ed.
Yep thats what they said to my client and me - we could edit the .htaccess file to change it but the changes never implemented.
It was stuck on php4 - till we found a customer rep who spoke English enough to do it their end.
I estimated that this took about 10 hours worth of moaning and ringing.

There payment handling is outrageous - billing for bills already paid, billing for refunded bills, debt collection agency letters for bills already paid or not even due, refusal to transfer domains "due to outstanding fees" while the account was in credit!, bills for accounts closed months ago, rude customer service, contradictory information, lack of understanding about their own systems.:S

The best bit was when they cut off two different clients for several days because of unpaid bills which were actually paid!!
I've now had problems with 3 different clients and each one has/had problems with billing.:S

Their system doesn't work even work with Safari!
They are the worse company I've ever come into contact with and bear in mind in the uk we have to work with BT (British Telecom:( )

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Sorry to hear of your trouble Paul.

I have never actually heard anything but horror stories about 1&1 (Schlund), with their PHP being a recurring theme.

Personally, I would always tend to a company with servers hosted in the country my client is operating in if possible. All my client sites are hosted with Rochen, in London. Customer support is second to none and they are easy to get hold of.

*I don't get any sort of kickback from them, I am however a happy Rochen customer and always been amazed by the service levels they provide. I truly believe you cannot get a faster shared host either.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Cheers Seth,

If people mention 1&1 I clearly explain that my quote has just increased by 20% :)

I'm looking at their site now - do you operate a reseller package?
Looks decent value for fast shared hosting from a recommended web company

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes, I have reseller.

It is not the cheapest, but they are not massively overselling capacity ;) They really know what they are doing with Joomla too, the result lightning fast hosting.

I also *really* like the fact that there is no contract period, you just pay by the month and stop paying when you want to finish. That tells me a lot about the company, that they rely on the quality of their service to keep customers, not impossible promises or minimum contracts.

Be aware that stated prices are exc. VAT though, it is not immediately apparent.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
sorry for sounding like a noob but can some give step by step instruction to change to the htdocs?
  • djtohkee
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
sorry for sounding like a noob but can some give step by step instruction to change to the htdocs?
nm i got it
  • djtohkee
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
If the webhost supports it, you may be able to force it to run under PHP5 with just one line in your .htaccess file. See here for details;

kb.siteground.com/article/How_to_have_di..._MySQL_versions.html

If that doesn't work you will need to call your host....
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers