Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Buildr Core Changes & Location of Specific Less Variables

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi,

I'm pondering the best way to approach changing some of the standard styles in buildr (that can't be modified via the template admin).
Primarily, I'm attempting to implement vertical rhythm when I change the base font size (so that would mean me having to restyle all the margins, and line heights, for everything again...as I don't really see another way to achieve this rhythm).
However, I'm not sure if I should put these changes in a child theme because these changes would pretty much be needed in every child theme I create (but I don't really see another way to go about this either).

Also, before I forget, would you mind pointing me to where I can find the less variables that modify margins, as well as change line heights, of all the html elements like paragraphs, ul, ol, blockquotes, img, heading tags, etc - I can't seem to find these specific less variables anywhere?

Regards,
Aadil
  • Aadil
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi,

You can use a custom.less file to override any default variables.

The documentation: docs.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-template/buildr-documentation/overview/customisation#using-customless-files-to-use-with-the-less-compiler

The variables can be found in less/variables.less

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Hi Rob,

Thanks. I already use the custom.less and .css files for customization.

I am aware of what's in the less/variables.less file (I had another look, again, in there plus a few other less files to be sure - ) and it doesn't include the specific margins for the actual html elements that I've listed above?

I mentioned this in another thread but I think putting comments in each less file, that indicate which less file it is, would really make things easier to spot.
When everything gets combined into one css file, and you try inspecting the css in the browser, you really don't know which less files are responsible.
I'd do it myself but then all the comments will get overwritten each time I update.

Regards,
Aadil
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
Hi,

Any luck finding the above?

Regards,
Aadil
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
Hi Aadil,

I'll need to check tomorrow on the points above

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aadil
Hi Paul,

Were you able to check yet?

Regards,
Aadil
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
Hi,

The template creates a sourcemap file, so when you inspect an element in a compatible browser you should see the path to the original less file rather than the combined css file.

The template settings are injected into the compiler when the css gets compiled, so only default variables are in the less files.
The actual values from the template settings are saved in the theme json files in the settings folder.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Hi Rob,

I've inspected elements with both Firefox & Chrome and they both show me 1 big css file (I don't have any css minification settings, etc., turned on in the template).

z-cssfileonly.png

I am aware of those files as I've seen the variables in them.
Things like paragraph margins aren't in those files though, as those settings aren't configurable via the template admin.

Could you point me to the actual file that has the paragraph margins as I just can't seem to find it (& I should be able to figure out where all the other html element margins are from there)?
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
The paragraph margins are set in /zengrid/libs/zengrid/less/_typography.less
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Please try updating the ajax plugin with the attached version which should fix the sourcemap.
Attachments:
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Thanks Rob,

I thought I had the most current version of Buildr, 1.3.2 - or is the 1.3.2_ColourShift2 Buildr template the new one (I didn't install it over my current local site build because saving the ColourShift2 template, on another local test server, in the admin was throwing out errors - I created a thread for the issue).
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
Hi,

This is the ajax plugin, not the template.

Installing it won't change any template files.

The plugin creates the css and map files, but there was an issue with the path to the map file so it wasn't working properly.
If you update to this version you should see where all the rules come from in the less files rather than the css file.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Hi,

Sure, I know it's not the template - I was trying to say that I didn't install the ColourShift2 buildr template version... and so was this ajax plugin update part of the ColourShift2 Buildr version (hence, would I need to update my template to the ColourShift2 version)?

EDIT:

Sorry, I didn't realize this was an update to the plugin (thought it was part of the Buildr template).
Is this, or will this, updated plugin for zengrid framework be released on your site (I don't see updates on Twitter from you guys anymore)?

Regards,
Aadil
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Aadil.
Hi Aadil,

This hasn't been released. I just looked into it when you said it wasn't working.
I have submitted the fix for a future release, but it was working in the past so it will need to be tested to make sure it doesn't break functionality for other users.

Sorry for the confusion. The framework is actually built into the template, but the framework plugin contains some helper functions for the ajax functionality.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris French, Aadil
Hi,

I was hoping you guys could update your demo sites with the above fix (especially Buildr)?
I'm inspecting, in the browser, your demo sites to find out why your demos have styles that I don't have in my local install but it's impossible to find the source files (on your demo sites) when the above fix hasn't been applied.

Regards,
Aadil
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
Hi Aadil,

I'll see if we can update the demo site this week

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers