Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Template settings corrupt issue

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I've had a strange issue twice now so would like to report it here to see if it's some sort of bug that could be resolved.

It's a problem with the template settings seeming to become corrupt, which then breaks the whole site. The first time the issue was with the Corporation template, then in the last week with Buildr.

The corruption seemed to occur after entering the template configuration under Extensions > Templates > Styles. After clicking through some settings ( I do not believe anything had changed, as I was checking font awesome was enabled) I then clicked 'Save & Close' during which (if I remember correctly) the template save dialog which appears in blue at the top of the template screen and scrolls across from left to right, reported an Internal Server error.

Following on from this the template configuration, i.e all module positions created were lost and the front end of the website was a blank white page. There were not any errors logged in apache, thus i turned on debugging in joomla (and php) and again nothing was logged on the front end when refreshing the page. On template style page itself there is a notice:

Notice: Array to string conversion in <path on server>/httpdocs/libraries/joomla/filter/input.php on line 244

But i wouldn't have thought this would have caused an issue with it only being a notice.

To try and rectify the situation, i copied the corrupt site over to another hosting platform and performed the following all of which failed to correct the issue or identify a problem (no error reported on the front end):

1) Reloaded the core files

2) Reloaded the template (and related Zen extensions)

3) Copied the database from the live site and overwrote the database on my test site

4) Copied the corrupted DB back and removed the latest component i had added (SP Page Builder)

5) Re-installed the component I add most recently (SP Page Builder)

6) I turned off debugging and saw when entering the template style it was completely blank (no modules present) So manually copied some settings over from the live site and saw that these modules would show on the corrupted site. Thus this seems definitely template related.

5) Searched through the DB for template settings - None found.

6) Identified a settings folder within the templates folder on the live site buildr > settings > themes. Within this folder the created theme file was identified as theme.home-page.json. I then copied the entire buildr folder from the live site to the corrupt site and this restored the layout without losing any DB configurations for recently installed extensions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  • gntodd
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 44 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

With the site what php version are you using together with the memory on the account?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

PHP 5.6.21
PHP memory_limit 512M
2GB RAM on the hosting account for this site

Is that what you were looking for?

Geoff
  • gntodd
  • 44 posts
Yes that was infor needed - if the php version is 5.3 the template won't work and the memory is fine

Can you attach a screenshot of what you see when you open the template in regard to "when entering the template style it was completely blank (no modules present)"

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Have had similar issue here.
Saved template as a rename of the backgrounder theme and lost all module positions from design view.

Buildr 1.3.0
PHP 5.5
Joomla 3.6.2

got error message but did not save it, said something like template corrupt and using default values.

updated Buildr and trying to rebuild template.

will be more specific if happens again.
  • Greg
  • 24 posts
Thanks Greg and Geoff,

Had any problems since?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

I don't have a live version of the issue just now, but i do have a backup which I could set up if you needed more info?

I'll try to explain a bit more. In the buildr template when you go into design you are presented with a white section to which you can drag and drop the module positions. On the current site this looks like this:

buildr-screenshot.jpg

However on the corrupt site all of the settings/modules were missing, This area was empty. Thus the frontend page loaded as a blank page (without errors) which is the correct behaviour if no positions are loaded. Does that make sense?
  • gntodd
  • 44 posts
Hi Geoff,

It shouldn't be blank but if you are ok then that is fine

A few things can cause this - if you encounter this again please get back to us and we can take a look

Thanks again

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi there!

Found this thread as I may be having a similar issue - different error messages, though.

Yesterday I newly installed:
Joomla 3.6.2 (in a subdirectory)
JB_Buildr_J3+_v1.3.2 template
JB_pkg_mod_zentools2_3+_2.2.6
JB_plg_ajax_zengridframework_J3+_1.0.5
JB_zenmenu_J3+_1.2.0
JB_zenshortcodes_J3+_1.7.0
(running PHP 5.3.27)

Plugins are turned on

Made Buildr the Default temp, changed module positions for Menu, Login. All OK on the front end (including offline and online login/logout).

In Templates: Edit Style / Design tab - General Settings, the Xero Preset comes up. All OK on the front end.

I load a different setting: [example]-standard
Click Save

Now I receive the front end error:
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/(user)/public_html/(directory)/templates/buildr/zengrid/zen.php on line 1442

I receive the same error when I save the theme as a new name (with no other changes made): standard-test

When I uninstall/reinstall the template, the issue resolves, but I haven't been able to save/apply any changes to the template in the back end without receiving this error in the front. Switching back to the Xero Preset does not fix it. Setting the Protostar Joomla template to Default works, but still can't make Buildr work when I switch it back. Tried refreshing the cache - no joy.

Another member mentioned the module layout positions vanishing in the Design tab? That rings a bell, but will have to test again to confirm that's happening here.

So I unstall/reinstall the template and start over...

Will follow along to see if anyone has a solution. Thank you! :-)
Laura
  • olsencreative
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 11 posts
Hi Laura,

You will need to update the php version on the hosting account

"(running PHP 5.3.27)" - it needs to be 5.4+ but I'd suggest looking at 5.6 or 7.0

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: olsencreative
Hi,
I'm having problems that look similar.

I'm building a site with Buildr (JB_Buildr_Quickstart_J362_v1.3.1) on a localhost (Wamp 2.5/PHP 5.5.12) and trying to customise the Onepage template style design.

I can change settings on grid rows etc then save them successfully (as shown on the frontend). However, if I then make further changes (e.g. to a different grid row/module position) when I save these, previous changes are lost and settings revert to the defaults.

This means that if I want to make one change to the settings I have to redo all previous changes again before saving. As I am making continuous changes to the design, then checking on the frontend before going back to make further tweaks, this is a real pain.

I thought I may be able to get around the problem by saving the Onepage template as a custom copy and use that. However, if I "Save-as-Copy" the Onepage template, module positions disappear completely. See attached.

There are no error messages.

Is this the same problem? What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Attachments:
  • Ray Robson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 12 posts
Hi

Can you update to the latest template version by download and installing the 1.3.2 download

With there being no error messages - are you referring to the console tab?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
On the local host have you changed any of the default settings?

e.g. memory_limit, max_execution_time etc
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Also do you have any security extensions installed?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi,
I've updated to 1.3.2 but it's made no difference (at least to the save-as-copy/missing modules problem).
Error messages - I meant when I saved the template, it seemed to save the template OK but I've just noticed that it said something like "updated CSS for the Xero theme" even though I'm not using Xero, I'm updating Buildr - Onepage.
I've made no changes to localhost defaults.
I had installed no extensions (security or others) when I found the problem. Only extension installed now is Akeeba.
Thanks,
Ray
  • Ray Robson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 12 posts
Hi Ray,

Anything in the browser console tab?

On a pc with chrome open press F12 and click the browser tab and then save in the template settings - see if anything appears

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,
after saving, the console showed this:

JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1
set_config.js?version=v5.0.5:17 Loading config - 86
set_config.js?version=v5.0.5:34 Setting xero
set_config.js?version=v5.0.5:39 theme has changed to xero
set_config.js?version=v5.0.5:48 Setting Layout

Does that tell you anything?
Thanks,
Ray
  • Ray Robson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 12 posts
Hi Ray,

I'll upload it again to my localhost (from memory I did change the defaults on my version), talk to the developers and get back to you as soon as I can

Sorry again for the inconvenience on this

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,
thanks.
By the way, I uploaded the site to a remote server to see if that would make any difference - it didn't.
I've attached the error info from the console.
Now it's live I can provide login info if that would help.
Regards,
Ray
Attachments:
  • Ray Robson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 12 posts
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Ray Robson.
Hi Ray,

Would you be able to create a ticket so we could take a look at the live site?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers