Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Module not respecting Menu Assignment

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have a Zen module assigned to show on the Home page only. It's in the belowcontent module position. It's a List module listing Featured articles.

Even though I have it set to only show on the Home page, if I click on one of the articles in the module, when it goes to that article, the module still shows below the article.

Will modules assigned to belowcontent always show below the content no matter what the Menu Assignment is?

Oh, this only occurs with articles listed in the module. If I go to any other article on the site, the module does not show and respects the Menu Assignment. You can see the issue here: staging3.rapmag.com/
  • JV
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by JV. Reason: Clarification.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

This sounds like an itemid issue

Joomla itemid along with some other functionality, tells Joomla what modules the requested article or component should load/display. This usually works great, but when a component or article has no menu item, and therefore no itemid, Joomla assigns a default value of 1.

With Search Engine urls enabled the itemid is still used but hidden.

As Itemid=1 is commonly the front page, Joomla will reload the front page, the url will change but the content of home page will display.

Solution

The solution is to publish a menu item for the content that is being loaded by the module. The menu item does not need to display on the site but the menu link does need to be enabled, commonly the menu is called a hidden menu e.g. it exists on the system but does not display.

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
HI Paul,

I wondered about this. However, the content being loaded by the module is "Featured Articles", and when I create a hidden menu item of the type Articles/Featured Articles, the problem persists. It sounds like you're suggesting I create a hidden menu item to each of the articles. That won't work as the articles being featured will constantly change.

Shouldn't the hidden menu item for Featured Articles have worked?
  • JV
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
hmmm

What happens if you test with a blog category link for the content category?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Same result. But understand that I cannot select "Featured Articles" as a category. I have to select a category, and if I select the category that the featured articles belong to, then the module stops showing at the bottom of the article. Great! However, the hidden menu item's Name then appears above the article name, and the hidden menu item shows up in the breadcrumbs.
  • JV
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
And you get the same even if using the default joomla template right?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
If I switch to Protostar and assign the module to the Top Centre (Position 3) slot in Protostar, it functions as desired.
  • JV
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
Right

So if I click these articles in featured module zentools-203

staging3.rapmag.com/featured-articles/3920-start-combining-ideas

staging3.rapmag.com/featured-articles/3919-test-drive-the-tascam-dr-100mkiii

staging3.rapmag.com/featured-articles/3918-7-essential-books-for-copywriters

staging3.rapmag.com/featured-articles/3921-q-it-up-how-do-you-handle-clients-who-want-to-voice-their-own-spots

I should be seeing a module below the article after it loads?

As I can't at the moment

Am I looking at the right module?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
You can't see the module because I still have the hidden menu item enabled. I just disabled it. Check the links again and you'll see the module appear at the bottom of those featured articles.
  • JV
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
But as I mentioned earlier, when I used the hidden menu item: "...the hidden menu item's Name then appears above the article name, and the hidden menu item shows up in the breadcrumbs."
  • JV
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
I can't see a way round this as this as Joomla needs the itemid to work as it assigns modules using the itemid

The title you could remove using the link settings as the link settings override other settings

The problem would be the breadcrumbs
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I was afraid of that.

I'm trying to figure this out so I can use the sidebar on the home page. It appears the sidebar only appears on the home page if the main content is enabled on the home page. I want the sidebar (sidebar1 or sidebar2) to appear sitewide. Any way to do that with main content disabled on the home page?

jv
  • JV
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by JV. Reason: Correction
The sidebar is part of the main content so without creating a new layout you wouldn't be able to get this to work

It's a bit beyond the scope of our support I could ask a developer if we could do this via a members custom support block - I'm not sure on the cost

Is this something that might be of interest?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Let me look at some other options first.
Thanks, Paul.
jv
  • JV
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
Sure no problem

Enjoy your weekend

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers