Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Site migration

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have a large site that I want to migrate to the gazetta template that follows the layout, look and feel of the demo on JB.

One issue I have is that my content does not use associated images, they tend to be embedded in the articles.

What would be the quickest, least painful way of performing the migration?
  • breathwork
  • 12 Month basic
  • 49 posts
  • 5 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Can I clarify what you mean by "large"?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Total Akeeba Backup size 560gb
Conent table 12000 rows...
  • breathwork
  • 12 Month basic
  • 49 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Is this a Joomla 3 site?

Which template do you currently use on the site? I assume it is not a JB template?

Do you have a lot of modules used throughout the current site?

Is the site actively updated by users? Is there a period it could be offline or at least not updated?

Is most of the content [size] images or other content? What is the db size?

Sorry for all the questions, I have a few ideas and suggestions which may help you decide the best route but need a bit more information. More than happy to throw my thoughts into the pool.

Regards
Ian
  • iafdesign
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
Thanks Ian :)

That is a huge website

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Ian here are inline answers...
iafdesign wrote:
Is this a Joomla 3 site?

Which template do you currently use on the site? I assume it is not a JB template? - Its a joomlart template

Do you have a lot of modules used throughout the current site? - what do you mean by a lot?

Is the site actively updated by users? Is there a period it could be offline or at least not updated? - yes there is

Is most of the content [size] images or other content? What is the db size? - See my previous post
  • breathwork
  • 12 Month basic
  • 49 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Not really, 3tb is a huge website!
  • breathwork
  • 12 Month basic
  • 49 posts
  • 5 Thanks
I am looking for a way to get the test site all set up and ready to go with a snapshot of the live site.

Then when all is ready refresh the test site and re-create the live site.

I use akeeba backup pro to manage site migration and it goes well and quickly.

My issue really is with how to re-create the look and feel of gazetta without the usual hassle that comes with migrated content.

For example in gazzetta you make use of the native joomla image in an article support, in the old site , and I mean old, 12 years old, mambo->joomla, I use inline images in the content. This is not a big issue, as it can be addressed by running an sql update against the relevant tables to place a default image in the article and remove the first imag in the article content.

But I guess you see what I mean...
  • breathwork
  • 12 Month basic
  • 49 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Hey Geoffrey,

Sounds like a whopper of a site :)

You could use some php in the html overrides to extract the first image in the item and then strip it from the content. That may work well actually, but will add to processing time - not much but it would be faster to do the sql and change the content in the database.

Let me know which way you think you will go and if you need the snippet I can send it to you.

Cheers
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I guess sql in the database, that way there is no overides that might get overwritten at a later date.

Help would be much appreciated with the sql.

I guess I need two
1 to strip the first img from the content and then
2 to insert a standard image into the image sections of the content record.

Would that do it?
  • breathwork
  • 12 Month basic
  • 49 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Ah right - creating the custom sql would take a bit of time and is beyond the scope of the support. Adding the image to the item image is kind of complicated given that Joomla stores that data in json and not just an entry into the database table.

I would have thought adding php to the override based on date would be the best option.

Sql is possible but we would need to quote you specifically on getting that sorted.

I've never used re-replacer before by nonumber but it might be the kind of thing that would work with that.
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Some thoughts for you to consider;

You need to look at the images that are in the text body to ensure they are large enough to work with Gazetta. The full image in Gazetta stretches to the full width of the template container, so images need to be able to accommodate this resizing. If they are too small they will of course pixelate and not look their best.

Whilst the effect of the template would be "downgraded", you could leave the images within the text, all the template chrome will work except for the image on articles. Then as new content is added it could benefit from the additional layout by adding the image to the full image field. This is a compromise in styling but may work for you with less pain.

To move the images, I would personally run script on the database given you are working with a large(ish) dataset. Maybe a few too many grey hairs but I would be happier that way than using re-replacer even though Peter's products are excellent. If you are not confident with the db and Joomla it may be worth the cost of getting Anthony to undertake it for you.

When you migrate you will also need to update the module position from the old template to the new one. You also need to remove any classes added to the old modules and to get the full Gazetta look of the demo, add classes to style the headers of the modules. Again this can be done in the db directly or if you have a reasonable number of modules on the site to could do this manually by going through the each individually.

I hope that helps a little, they are just my personal opinion and not that of JB.

Regards Ian
  • iafdesign
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
Thanks Ian :)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers