Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

can one zentools2 module hose the entire front page? it seems to have done so

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I installed the zentools2 update which ruined my filter module that is the centerpiece of my home page, all the items that showed in the menu were all stacked on top of each other in the top row.

In the course of trying to figure out what the heck happened, I made a lot of changes and finally it was just about OK. Then out of the blue the entire homepage became code and the filter module became blank.

This never seemed to affect any of the other pages in the site by the way. So I decided it must be the new update so I downgraded and the error was still there so I installed the latest again since I really should have that.

Anyway, any ideas what the heck is going on? I don't know enough about php and joomla code to see what is wrong.

I'm using the build.r template and at one point I thought I could mess with that, but I quickly closed that and didn't save anything.

Even though I did make a backup before I updated this plugin, it seems silly to go back to the whole backup just for one page. I might get my hosting company to roll it back 24 hours, but meanwhile if you look at it and have a clue that might help me not do it again, because if I reconstitute the backup I will still run into the first problem when I update the plugin again.

Makes me sick.

I have a small attachment about how it used to look. You will see how it looks now when you go to www.mainefiberarts.org. You can't tell by this tiny screenshot that the background is a zen tools 2 slideshow that works on all the other pages.

I've been getting a lot of spam getting through a form plugin I've been using and I wonder if the spam has done something.

Thanks in advance, this is not how I wanted to spend the last four hours of my evening.

Carol Jones

Screenshot2017-01-1122.28.58.png
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
I restored my site back to how it was 24 hours ago. It is fine now, but the zen tools 2 module is no longer updated. I don't dare do it again.

By the way after I restored the site to yesterday's files, Safari still showed it wrong while firefox showed it correctly. When I went to another computer and looked at the site in Safari I saw an error in the error console right at first that said Safari couldn't find the template. So firefox could? Eventually after I restarted and kept clearing the Safari cache, the site was viewed correctly in Safari too.

Even though I have many zentools modules on my site it was only the home page that was affected, all the other pages were fine. This has me perplexed and a bit fearful of Joomlal. I'm also having a problem with recaptcha in Joomla which I think lots of people are from what I've read.

So, my question remains though how just updating the zentools2 module would first destroy the filter module's behavior on my home page but no other pages, while out of the blue the whole page would just fall apart and loose connection with the template.

Anyway, my front page is OK for now, so don't worry about getting back to me right away.

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Carol,

Glad you got the site back together again

Its a bit hard to comment without seeing the site broken

Perhaps consider setting up a development version of the site?
e.g. take a backup using akeeba and upload it to some different disk space

Then you can try things out with the site without it breaking the real site if it goes wrong

With updating zentools2 it is worth compiling the master css in a zentools2 module - any one would do
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
"I'm also having a problem with recaptcha in Joomla which I think lots of people are from what I've read."

What problem are you having?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Oh, well I can't blame it on JoomlaBamboo, it is with a component called FormMakerPro which I have used for years, just updated and for some reason spam gets through even with the latest captcha-recaptcha which works when I use i but I am flooded every day with junk submissions from Russia and other countries. I read that form plugin developers need to update to something new in the code they use, and downloaded yet another up to day version of that component and still I get spam but I can't seem to get through the captcha myself. I just don't get it. Wouldn't know where to start looking. Like you said, if it's not broken how can you fix it.

About the Zentools2 modules, I am quite sure there is no connection with the captcha problem and the horrid mess the zentools2 update made to my front page. I just feel Joomla is falling apart when I can so easily mess things up that were working and not know how to fix them. It has not always been like this.

Just whining. I'll stop. Someday when I get brave and have a day or so to work on a broken site I will try the zentools2 update again. I love zentools2 and have been using it since it was born many many many times.

Thanks for listening.

Carol Jones
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Thanks Carol

Get back to us when that time comes :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Oh yes. You can count on it. ;)

Carol
  • palominojones
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 265 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Enjoy your weekend

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers