Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Wrong information shared in Facebook window

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello,
I have a problem with sharing some information via Facebook button, some informations are not shared correctly, that's the case for the home page (no info, no image) and also for the "altimetria-cartografia" page, there is a wrong information and photo that are displayed … yet the meta tag has been completed correctly, any idea why?

Thank you

www.scorrendoconilliri.it/
  • Lorenzo
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Lorenzo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Lorenzo,

I'll need to check with Anthony on this on Monday and get back to you

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hello Paul,
I haven't received any news about this issue...
I still have a problem with sharing a page on Facebook (the home page seems to be shared properly), this page: http: //www.scorrendoconilliri.it/percorso/altimetria-cartografia

If I use the Open Graph Object Debugger I have a message that show me the following error:
Error parsing input URL, cached Was no data, or no data Was scraped.

Can you tell me more about this error and how to solve it?

Thank you
  • Lorenzo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Hi

We are planning a release to fix an issue with facebook popups - I'll check on your issue

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Lorenzo,

Apologies for the delay.

I think this issue can sometimes occur because of the encoding of the website. When I was testing this if you have gzip enabled facebook wasnt able to parse the page properly. As a test can you try the following:

1. Change templates to protostar and run the test again to see if it can be parsed.

2. Disable any gzip / compression you may have added either by htaccess or made changes in the global config.

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hello Anthony and Paul :)
... everything seems back to normal without any intervention on my part.

This problem reminds me another problem that I had with another site and sharing information to Facebook.

I had a long discussion about this with Steven Palmer of Coalaweb extensions (really cool guy, like you!), and the problem was the gzip compression, except that this time I had no active compression… strange...

Anyway, like Steven Palmer said in his post "Facebook caches pages and every 24 hour more or less then they re-scrap(check) and update their information" so maybe Facebook has reconsidered my pages :)

Thank you both!
  • Lorenzo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Cool - love it when things fix themselves :)

Thanks for the update

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hello,
I come back to this post because I noticed that the information shared on Facebook is incorrect, I refer to images that are in the shared page.
Sometimes the images are not displayed, sometimes it's a different image that is displayed.

Do you think it is possible to choose the image to display?

Thank you
  • Lorenzo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Hi,

In order to control the information shared on facebook you need to include opengraph metatags and define the image and text explicitly.

There are a number of plugins that will add the tags for you. Take a look at this one: www.phoca.cz/phoca-open-graph-plugin

You can test your pages with the linter to see how facebook sees the page: developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorenzo
Hello,
I tried Phoca Open Graph, but it's not very clear how he works and the documentation is limited ... I thought that I could choose an image for each page, but apparently the image is still selected automatically.
Almost all the plugin work the same way on an article or a category, but how to operate on a menu item that is pointing to a component?

Why is it still so difficult to share information on Facebook? I hate Facebook ... :angry:
  • Lorenzo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Yes, most are qutomatic and give you a choice of using the first image in the article/featured image which falls back to a default image if one doesn't exist in the article.
The general options about where the information comes from should be in the plugin configuration options.

Usually you would want the first image in the article to be the one that gets shared so in most cases it's suitable.

If you want the image to be the same for all pages then you can manually add the image tag to the template.

To specifically choose an image for each article you might be able to find another plugin on the joomla extensions site that allows that. Otherwise you would need to create a new plugin that has that functionality.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
ok thank you Rob for all these explanations.
I'll try to find an extension that does the job well ...
  • Lorenzo
  • 369 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Good luck

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers