Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

mixed content when Search Engine Friendly URLs is activated

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi,

i have routed my website tradingcoacholi.com via cloudflare and purchased a dedicated ssl certificate. I have been having major problems with mixed content - to fix this issue so far i have:
enabled forced https via joomla backend
made a rule in cloudflare and activated Automatic HTTPS Rewrites
have installed cloudflare for joomla from simbunch
and a handful of other things but no luck.

I have noticed though that when i deactivate search engine friendly urls from global configuration all is well and the site loads properly and with a green lock - but then all the urls of the site change (and look really messy) so that isnt an option.

Please help...

Thanks in advance
Evyenia
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Evyenia,

Its a tricky one to troubleshoot without seeing the issue

Do you have any changes on the htaccess file?

What files are showing as mixed content?

Cheers
paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by manh.
Hi Paul,

yes this is what i added to the htaccess: RewriteCond %{HTTPS} OFF
RewriteRule (.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}"

and because i got locked out of the site when i enabled force https from global configuration i then made public $force_ssl = '0';

These are what i am getting from the console as the problems:

Blocked loading mixed active content “fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:500%7COpen+Sans:600”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/templates/venture/css/theme.blues.css”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/modules/mod_skillset/css/skillset.css”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/com_acymailing/css/module_custom.css?v=1470834417”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/mod_zentools/css/zentools.min.css”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/components/com_jevents/views/flat/assets/css/modstyle.css?3.4.30”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/com_jevents/css/bootstrap.css”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/com_jevents/css/bootstrap-responsive.css”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/mod_languages/css/template.css”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/jui/js/jquery.min.js”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/jui/js/jquery-noconflict.js”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/jui/js/jquery-migrate.min.js”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/templates/venture/js/template.js”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/com_acymailing/js/acymailing_module.js?v=561”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/system/js/mootools-core.js”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/system/js/core.js”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/mod_zentools/js/zentools.js”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/jui/js/bootstrap.min.js”[Learn More] de
Blocked loading mixed active content “tradingcoacholi.com/templates/venture/css/custom.css”[Learn More] de
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/mod_languages/images/de_de.gif” on a secure page[Learn More] de
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/mod_languages/images/en.gif” on a secure page[Learn More] de
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “tradingcoacholi.com/images/logo/bull-white.png” on a secure page[Learn More] de
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “tradingcoacholi.com/media/mod_zentools/cache/images/trading-world-4527f9562969e1bb4b3f880d400b6f78.jpg” on a secure page[Learn More]

I am not sure where i find these in the control panel to correct them...

Any help pointing me in the right direction would as always be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance
Evyenia
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
Hi Evyenia,

Does it work if you disable cloudflare ?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi,

For Joomla to use https urls, the option needs to be enabled in global configuration.

If not, Joomla will be using http and your htaccess file is redirecting users to https. So the browser will refuse to load the non-secure assets.

Try removing the line from your htaccess file and enable https in global configuration..

If that doesn't work, make a note of the files which are causing a problem in the browsers console window of developer tools.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Thanks guys I will try the suggestion out and let you know
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
Best of luck

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Rob,

When i force https from the global configuration i get locked out of the site both on front end and back end. To unlock this i have been changing public $force_ssl to 0 in the configuration.php.

Would this have anything to do with my problem?

Thanks
Evyenia
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
Hi,

What do you mean by locked out?

If you see the admin login page then you may just need to log in again.

Does the admin page work with ssl enabled?

There are 3 settings for $force_ssl 0 = none, 1 = admin only, 2= full site.

Changing the option there is the same as changing the option in global administration (Saving global admin options resaves the file).
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Hi,

As soon as i activate this, the page goes blank and i cant access either the backend or the site - i get a message saying that webpage cannot be found. I then have to access my cpanel and change back the $force from 2 to 0 to be able to visit the site again.

Thanks
Evyenia
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
Try setting error reporting to development in global configuration and then try again and see if you get an error message instead of a whitescreen.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
No its the same i get this: The page isn’t redirecting properly :(
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
That sounds like an issue with a rule in your htaccess file.

Try using the default htaccess file that comes with Joomla.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Silly question - are there two htaccess files?

Thanks in advance
Evyenia
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
Hi Evyenia,

You just have one in the root of the joomla site and one in the root of the hosting account

It is possible you have one which has been renamed

if using admintools -
www.akeebabackup.com/documentation/admin-tools/htaccess-maker.html

so with this extension it renames the existing htaccess file to
.htaccess.admintools

What are your htaccess files named?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi,

Joomla comes with a file called htaccess.txt which you rename to .htaccess to get it to work.

You have custom rules in your file that may be causing an issue, so please backup your current file and replace it with the default one that comes with Joomla to see if that fixes the problem.

If you don't have a htaccess.txt file in the rrot of your site (You may have renamed it) you can get a copy by downloading a fresh copy of Joomla from the joomla.org site.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Hi guys,

i have found the problem - Changed CURRENT to ROOT on Line: 161 within LIBARY > CMS > APPLICATIONS > SITE.PHP

it works perfect now :)

thanks
Evyenia
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
Hi Evyenia,

Just to confirm you've edited a Joomla core file?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi

yes, this is the path i followed from the cpanel: public_html/mysite.com/libraries/cms/application

Thanks
Evyenia
  • Evyenia
  • 12 Month basic
  • 43 posts
Hi,

It's not a good idea to edit core files. This may just be covering up the underlying issue.

I think the line you have edited changes the base url in the head of the document.

You may find that this causes issues elsewhere like 404 errors for assets.

The original file will also be replaced when you update Joomla.

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers