Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Is there a video tutorial on Focus2?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I've only had this template less than a week and I've just been looking around trying to suss it out. I've installed the 'quick-start' in an effort to do this. I'm working my way through the documentation but for sure a video tutorial wouldn't go amiss. :unsure:

I'm new to using frameworks with modules all over the show. It's a bit daunting. I like the look of the template but it's easy to feel overwhelmed as to just where to start with mods to adapt it for purpose.
  • Brendan Owens
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

What would you want the video to cover specifically?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brendan Owens
Well . . . A video showing you a style that is populated with the demo material and illustrate how to go about editing the 'module' etc that is responsible for that content. Just looking over the content produced by some menu items and highlighting how to get in tweak those.
I realise you can simply click on the front 'edit' pencil to edit an item, but that doesn't always show me where that content is in the admin if I want to fully edit things.
For example; just to give you an idea of where my confusion lies. Just now I'm looking at the demo menu and among them there is
"Joomla", in the drop-down from that there is a "List Weblinks"

Click on that a page opens up with weblinks as expected.
And each link can be edited. But where exactly is this in admin. For instance if I wanted to remove the word: Weblink from before the links. I imaged I could go to a 'module' or article and simply turn off the title. But I can't even find where to go???? Also, I went into the articles area and put in another category called "Venues". Went back into one of these weblinks (after a refresh) but there was no categories to change to. It still only showed "uncategorised".

I'm sure you are going to tell me where I went wrong (at least I hope someone is) but that's the kind of thing I mean. If someone on video has a mosey around on these menus and demos how to change things. For someone like me coming from regular templates and content, I feel as though I just haven't been let in on a well known secret yet. :-)

Things like that. So I suppose if you observed a user having a go at looking around a demo populated template and trying to customise it for say an entertainer or an artist or whatever and consider what difficulties they are having you might clearly see what should be demonstrated. As is mentioned in the template in admin "There are a tonne of options". Given it's complexity, it is little wonder that a newbie will simply get lost in this city of lights.
  • Brendan Owens
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
OK so I found the list weblinks as a menu item. And therefore realised it must be a component and when I looked there it showed a link to edit categories. Guess it's a steep learning curve from J1.5
  • Brendan Owens
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the info re video

I'll ask about this on Monday when we are all back online

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Just one final thing I will say about video tutorials in general. They may seem like a weighty investment in time and effort, and for sure, done properly, they do take planning and work, but in the long run, it cuts down on many questions from users (like mine above re weblinks) that you won't have to answer every time a new user buys a template. So in the end you save time. Also, (and this has certainly been the case for me purchasing music software which has tutorial videos from the seller free with the purchase), when users FULLY understand how to use something, they get the full value out of it, rave about it to others, and come back to the seller for more products.

How many have purchased templates only to find the sample on the seller's site is not as easy to emulate when installing it on their own. Feeling out of their depth, they either abandon it and return to what they know, or in their ignorance under utilize it, and fearfully steer clear of any further dalliance with such 'complicated' (in their experience) template designs.

Therefore the easier you can make it for newbies to really get to grips with zen and your templates the more they will return for more. I can certainly speak from experience as I've returned to other providers who fully explain their products with videos.

Just thought I'd mention that just in case there might be a consideration of : 'that will take too much time' when it's brought up. :-)
  • Brendan Owens
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the further information and feedback :)

We as a team will have a chat about about this tomorrow

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
We are going to test by doing one video and see how long it takes and if the quality is up to scratch

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Looking forward to that thanks.
  • Brendan Owens
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
Its a trial run :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Did you finally manage to make a video then Paul?
  • Brendan Owens
  • 12 Month basic
  • 16 posts
I did but the quality was a bit iffy with the sound so we decided to not use it

I'm surrounded by electronic noise from speakers, printers, scanners, external drives, other bits and pieces and a pc - I didn't notice initially as I'm bit deaf

Long term I've just bought a wide screen laptop and once its all sorted win 10 wise I'm going to try again and see how that works

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers