Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Upgrading Joomla 2.5 to 3 and Rasa to Rasa2?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have been working on this all day long and am very frustrated. Here is my website: newdealfilms.com/

I have a Bamboo website built with Rasa, which was Joomla 2.5.28. I followed the instructions here to update: docs.joomla.org/Joomla_2.5_to_3.x_Step_by_Step_Migration

And when I got to the end and clicked on "Install the Update" button I got a white screen, both back end and front end. So I can not access the Joomla backend.

This is the third time this has happened, and the other two I just restored back to the old version of the website by calling Bluehost and asking them to restore.

I've been reading various websites and instructions all day and still haven't gotten anywhere.

I would really like to complete this and update the website to Joomla 3+ and Rasa2, and would like to update my other Bamboo Joomla 2.5 websites (I have several of them).

What steps should I take to do this? I have an Akeeba backup but am not sure what to do with that. Should I install the Rasa2 Quickstart and import the data from the old website? If so, how can I do this?

Thanks,
Melody
  • AllegroMelody
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 534 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Update: I tried to get Bluehost to restore the site, and it is still not working. They said that there was an error message; this is what they sent me:

[02-Oct-2016 00:59:32 America/Denver] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class JDispatcher in /home7/bluealch/public_html/newdealfilms/libraries/joomla/event/dispatcher.php on line 0

If I install a Rasa2 Quickstart and start the website over again, is there a way to pull the old content back in to a new site?

I have also tried to restore the site using Akeeba backup but that is not working either.

Thanks,
Melody
  • AllegroMelody
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 534 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Since this is very urgent, I have submitted a ticket with login information.

Thanks
Melody
  • AllegroMelody
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 534 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi Melody,

I'd echo Rob's comments about taking a copy of the site you want to upgrade

Work on the development site away from the real live site

Once copied across to some development disk space - remove all extensions, components, plugins, module not compatible with J3+

This would include the framework and the old Rasa template
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Then update the Joomla version

Perhaps check out these videos

www.siteground.co.uk/tutorials/joomla-video/jooml25-to-joomla3/
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I wouldn't suggest using a quickstart as it would mean re-creating articles, categories, menus etc in that new site

As using the quickstart would mean a new database and you would have to re-populate all the content
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Melody

Whilst not privy to advise given in your ticket a method we have used for troublesome site upgrades is to get the new j3 site right, you could use the qs as Paul suggests, then transfer the content.

If you have a lot of content then copy and paste is time consuming. We would move content directly from the old site to the new in the database, using a script written to suit. It saves a lot of time but is site specfic. If you are not comfortable hacking the db the jb team may be able to offer this via support block, you would have to ask them as probably outside the scope of the support forum.

Usual advise work on a development version and make sure you have a working backup.

Ian
  • iafdesign
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
Thanks Ian

Just to underline I wouldn't suggest using the quickstart :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers