Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Banner padding wont go lower than 30px

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello,

So in the Xero template it seems that the banner module padding no matter what will not go lower than what is set in the "Vertical Rhythm". For instance, the vertical rhythm by default is set at 30px. Under the banner options in the template manager you can set the padding of the banner to whatever you want presumably to override this. If I set the padding higher than the vertical rhythm then the site responds by making the banner larger (due to the increased padding) however if I set the padding in the banner less than that of the vertical rhythm it ignores the value and wont drop lower than whatever is set in the Vertical Rhythm. This is problematic because I cant place anything in the banner without having a nasty 30px padding at the bottom.

This attached picture shows the banner still appearing on the page even though there is no content in it and even though its padding is set to 0 in the template manager. No matter what I put in the banner there is always a padding on the bottom of it exactly the size of what the vertical rhythm is set to.

Screenshot2015-02-2620.37.29.png

Any enlightenment in regards to this would be appreciated.

Thank You!
  • Ryan Somohano
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 9 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Before I test this - can I just confirm you are using the latest template version

Thanks
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hello and thank you so much for the awesome response speed. It turns out I'm on 1.0.8. I only downloaded the template off of here a week and a half ago or so but from what I'm seeing on the download page it looks like it might be out of date. If so, can you tell me how or point me in the right direction on the forum to find out how I can upgrade without losing my current progress on the site if possible? That way I can be up to date and see whether or not the problem persists.

Thank you so much again!
  • Ryan Somohano
  • 9 posts
Hi

With any template or major site update - I'd suggest making a backup first

Are you using Akeeba?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes, I use akeeba and have just made a proper backup. What should I do to proceed with the template update?
  • Ryan Somohano
  • 9 posts
Cool - just download the latest from the template download page and install as per any standard joomla installation

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Unfortunately the aforementioned problem with the padding still persists. Just to make sure I ran the update correctly this is what I did:

Downloaded latest build of Xero(not the quickstart but standard version)>Went into my website's admin panel, extension manager, and installed the Xero Build> Template install reads as successful and I check the version number in the template manager/default home page and it reads the correct updated version number under the template overview tab (1.2.1)> Go to check the banner padding again by setting it to 0 but it again wont drop below the 30px it seems to be inheriting from the "vertical rhythm" integer and thus the problem still persists.

Thanks again for your patience in helping me through this!
  • Ryan Somohano
  • 9 posts
Hi

Do you have a link for the site?
As this is working for me but I'm not a 100% sure we are looking at the same area of the site

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Unfortunately I'm developing the site locally so I don't have a link for it. Just to clarify with images one more time to see if it will help in your diagnosis.

Screenshot2015-03-0113.15.48.png

No matter what I place into the banner position (for instance in the first image I attached, its a custom HTML module with a background image that is blank/pure black as well as some text I added over it via the editor) there is always an odd padding bottom at the bottom. The padding doesn't even inherit the background image of the custom HTML module! Instead it just carries the general background color of the banner position set in the template settings.

Screenshot2015-03-0113.16.07.png

This above image shows I have the banner padding set to 0.

Screenshot2015-03-0113.16.40.png

This above image shows that even if I add more content in an attempt to fill the banner postion out, the (what I presume to be) padding still remains.

So it almost feels as though some rouge module or position is attaching itself to the bottom of the banner position or multiple elements are published to the banner position or some other posibility, I'm not entirley sure but the images youre looking at are edits I made to a freshly downloaded and installed version of the Xero template I did just before replying to this post so I havent made any serious alterations to it.

Attachment Screenshot2015-03-0113.19.26.png not found

As you can see, in case its of any relvence, theres no other modules published to the banner position besides the one "hello" custom HTML module that I used for the purposes of this test.

Again any enlightenment or anything else I can do to help point in the right direction please let me know.
  • Ryan Somohano
  • 9 posts
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Ryan Somohano. Reason: Having trouble getting the attachments right
Thanks for the screenshots

I think we have a bug and I was looking at the wrong variable

I'll talk about this with the developers and get back to you as soon as possible

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Can you try disabling gzip

Go to Settings > CSS Settings > GZIP CSS output

and disable then save

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi there,

I have a feeling it's actually the margin on the banner module.

Adding in the custom.css:
#bannerwrap .moduletable {margin-bottom:0} that should fix it
If it doesn't (if this is possible) could you take a screenshot of the web inspector panel (firefox or chrome) with the offending area highlighted?

eg hover over the moduletable class or banner divs so you can see where the extra space is coming from?

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I was hopeful that the margin bottom on the mod table would fix the issue but alas, it persists. No luck on the gzip either I'm afraid.

I really am baffled, I have used before and again now upon your suggestion the firefox debugging tools to try and find the culprit but I cant find where the margin bottom is coming from. I took some screenshots of the debug panel in case you see something I don't but this really has me completely stumped.

Screenshot2015-03-0221.50.14.png

Screenshot2015-03-0221.50.46.png

Screenshot2015-03-0221.51.04.png

Screenshot2015-03-0221.51.30.png

Screenshot2015-03-0221.51.46.png

As you can see the little grey margin on the bottom is still persistent.
  • Ryan Somohano
  • 9 posts
Yes looks like it's definitely in your module content then.

Any chance of sticking it online so we can see?
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I had taken a hiatus from this project as something else came up but I just got back to it and managed to get the site up on test server so you can take a look. The problem still persists with the mysterious padding at the bottom of the banner despite downloading a fresh copy of the most recent updated template off of Joomla Bamboo. Hopefully you'll be able to diagnose it now as this issue has been driving me mad! Thank you for the help!

ryansomohano.com/joomla
  • Ryan Somohano
  • 9 posts
Hi

You are using p tags which have a bottom margin on 30px and also there is this

.zen-spotlight {
padding: 30px 0;
}

so you would need to add this as well

#bannerwrap .zen-spotlight {
padding-bottom: 0;
}

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ryan Somohano
EUREKA! Problem Solved! Thanks so much for the A+ support!
  • Ryan Somohano
  • 9 posts
Cheers

Good luck with the site

Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers