Support Forum

migrating from Joomla 2.5 to 3+ and Colourshift (original)

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

This is a buildr quickstart I just uploaded to the JB site

This is the screen that will tell you about the database version and the fix button in top left corner

A warning will alert you if there is a problem

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
it did seem to lag on 86% for a while, but if I have no admin side I cant check the database, and if I check it before upgrade then wouldnt i just be checking it against the 2.5 installed version of joomla?
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
What lags on 86%?

With the stats renamed can you still not access the admin?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
when i update to joomla 3+ it gets to 86% and then holds there for a while ..
No still cant access the admin after I renamed the stats folder and got the error attached ..
Attachments:
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Doing a bit of googling try

For example delete if exists

/libraries/cms/controller/legacy.php
/libraries/cms/model/legacy.php
/libraries/cms/view/legacy.php
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
issues.joomla.org/tracker/joomla-cms/11117

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi paul, reading here github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/11282
the problem seems to lay with an issue in 3.5.1 as brian teeman points out it still exist (even tho the rest seem to insist its works ok ) and the way to avoid it is to update to 3.6.1 which evidently has a patch in it. more info here to :-
github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/17967
really gets frustrating .. I need to work out how to install the 3.6.1 update and try it ..
thanks
glenn
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi paul tried installing manually (unzipped directly into the site folder to overwrite the original files) but that didnt work either, so reset the site, tried to repair the database as you suggested previously and it repaired 6-7 items but there are 2 it cant fix, (see attached) any idea's ?
glenn
Attachments:
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Are you trying with new installs or is this the same one?
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
this is the old copy that I saved. I cant access the admin on any new update unfortunately. (unless theres a way to repair it outside of joomla?)
came across this earlier gist.github.com/mbabker/d7bfb4e1e2fbc6b7815a733607f89281#file-postupdate-php
which im going to try tomorrow. tbh Im running out of idea's here ..
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
just had one last go before bed .. so working on the old copy with the database partially repaired (as per previous post) and stats renamed I dint get an error but got the attached.. I also deleted the legacy.php files as requested to ..
Attachments:
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi Glenn,

So with the localhost you are breaking backup copies of the site and then reuploading the backup?

Are you starting the process with a fully updated 2.5 version with an up to date database?
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
yes i start with a site I downloaded from my host (that was working fine prior to them updating php to 7) I also exported the data base from the site to use locally. Then set it up in Wamp and imported the database to that. I have various backups as i remove or update components etc and I start with the last one that worked ok.
One thing tho its not named as it was on the site (gleadlessvalleytara.org) I called it gvtara. acording to the tutorial i saw that didnt matter, do you think that may be part of the problem? I also noticed that after the database repair I couldnt get the homepage, I got a screen with a red block of errors on it. (didnt capture it sorry)
I'll start from the beginning today with copies of both gvtara and gleadlessvalleytara.org to see what happens.
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi Paul, right ive setup a new copy on wamp starting clean (thats is the original backups - database and site ) from the online website.
so far Ive checked the extensions etc and done the following
phoca gallery - uninstalled
JCE uninstalled - tiny MCE set as default
NoNumber (modules anywhere) uninstalled
K2 updated to v2.8 successfully
inspiron template uninstalled
js_fresh template uninstalled
system remember me disabled
the only things remaining are Akeeba backup (v4.1.2 ) thats installed, not sure about updating or removing.
Zen tools v1.10.6, Zen Grid framework v2.3.1, and a plugin System JB Type v1.5.10
Obviously the template is the original colourshift which you said wasnt v3 compatible.
the sites working locally, and I have a backup (database and site) up to this point.
Not sure whats the best thing to do next so im open to suggestions lol
thanks
glenn
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi Glenn,

I'd never migrate a site manually I'd always use Akeeba backup to take a copy of the site and migrate the jpa file - not sure if you are using it

Zentools you would update to the 1.14.1 version

zen grid framework2 you would remove
JB Type you would also remove
Original Colourshift template removed
Remember me disabled not uninstalled
Akeeba I'd leave for now

With the 2.5 site it does work correctly prior to the Joomla update to Joomla 3?
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
paulus103 wrote:
Hi Glenn,

I'd never migrate a site manually I'd always use Akeeba backup to take a copy of the site and migrate the jpa file - not sure if you are using it

Zentools you would update to the 1.14.1 version

zen grid framework2 you would remove
JB Type you would also remove
Original Colourshift template removed
Remember me disabled not uninstalled
Akeeba I'd leave for now

With the 2.5 site it does work correctly prior to the Joomla update to Joomla 3?
I used cpanel to select and export the site as per a lynda tutorial. The site works as it should locally and online prior to the php update. I have an akeeba backup I could use. Remember me is disabled. if i remove colourshift, JB Type and zen grid framework I asume i'll stil have access to the admin side ??
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
H Glenn,

With the local site working then that is fine - for me I've always used Akeeba

With a migration you need to remove everything not compatible with Joomla3 hence the extensions I listed to remove
(JB type might be ok but is an older version you have installed)

The 2.5.28 site needs to be up to date regarding database.

After removing extensions and after switching to a default joomla the 2.5 site should still be working fine both admin and front end

Obviously the 2.5 display will be wrong as no template or framework now installed
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
ok Paul, ive removed everything you said, (except zen grid framework wasnt v2 but still took it out) updated zentools, removed colourshift and set the default template to Beez2.
I also found JTweet so ive removed that as well, mainly because I couldnt find an update and I'm certain I wasnt using it previously..
With the default site it loads fine (differences obviously) so were good to go I think.
It all seems to be ok. Is there anything i need to do with the database prior to trying the update? also would you install 3.5.1 or try 3.6? Ive got backups of both the site and the database upto this point so i can easily reset if need be.
once again many thanks for all your help and advice tho, I hate taking so much of your time.
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
hi Paul, well I checked the database (Ext manager - database) and it said it ws ok.
So I installed 3.5.1 feeling quite confident (why i dont know lol) anyways once again it got to 86.3% and hung for ages, that told me it was going to fail. That said i got a different error message this time so it might be something you can sort hopefully !
(see attached)
Attachments:
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks
purely in the process of elimination Paul Ive reset the site and updated Akeebabackup to com_akeeba-4.7.3-core. thats compatible with joomla 2.5/3.5 plus higher versions of php acording to there site. www.akeebabackup.com/download/akeeba-backup/4-7-3.html
installed and works fine. Will try updating the joomla version 3.5.1 again after some dinner !
  • Glenn Shaw
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 75 posts
  • 1 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers