Support Forum

• Page:

i want to mix two templates (focus2 and build.r) (your support is required) + embed video

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

hi everyone.
i am only starting html editing with joomla since yesterday for my own art platform.
before buying, is there a way to have these few questions answered?
- i am strongly tinged by focus2, but would like to know if it's possible to use it
with a video as background instead than a simple image. how so? with a vimeo embed?
- is it possible to combine two templates together, like the focus2 and the build.r : like, either one on each of the two pages i want on my domain? or either mixed together?
- finally i want to know if you can add an access code in front of an image/link ?

i don't know if i can access this forum, so could you send any answer to "removed" otherwise i cannot buy "blindly" from your website of course!.
thank you very much in advance!
Nicole
  • Nicole Beeckmans
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 46 posts
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by manh.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Nicole,

A video background would be problematic for any site as you have no idea of the browser screen size and you will have other content sitting on top of it

Is the video intended as a background blurry video which isn't really intended to be watched?

You could have the templates on different pages but what features do you like from the respective templates?

An access code in front of an image or link would require an extension or access restrictions - I'm assuming either a membership or access control / login

You could set up access control levels for this but it would depend on what you want people to do

regarding the forum I've moved this thread to a public part of the forum so you should be good to reply

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
paulus103 wrote:
Hi Nicole,

A video background would be problematic for any site as you have no idea of the browser screen size and you will have other content sitting on top of it

Is the video intended as a background blurry video which isn't really intended to be watched?
yes, it could well be somewhat blurry, depending on screen size, and barred by a big title; a non problematic example of it is bjork.com/splash/ -- i want to know from you if using Focus2 template, or Build.r template i just have to do an embed from viméo in the Joomla! administrative panel and it would that do? the video would play (blurry) with sound, streaming upon loading?

Focus2 suits my needs (digital art gallery) if i can have the viméo background, and can I know from you: did you tell me? :

I can have Build'r (i am found of the parallax stacked zen ) on one page, and Focus2, on my next page.

But could I mix the two in one single page which would combine elements i like from both: for example i wish i could put a "parallax" effect on Focus2 ?

also (i am an artist, i like to tinker, to experiment) can I add to that the zen animated texts in a Focus2?

would it imply a basic knowledge of code editing in the Joomla! interface? is it easy? is it only possible? or would i need to contact a developer, would you help me in finding one?
paulus103 wrote:

An access code in front of an image or link would require an extension or access restrictions - I'm assuming either a membership or access control / login

You could set up access control levels for this but it would depend on what you want people to do

Cheers
Paul

access code given outside from the Internet: a single word that the client or art consumer would type in a box (color:black), pressing a simple button on the side of the box, once the correct word is entered, would allow access to the gallery, done, say, with Focus2 etc etc. the first page would, for example be done with the viméo background, and the box would stand somewhere in the center, or near an illustrative image.

thank you for your time Paul!
regards,
Nicole
  • Nicole Beeckmans
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 46 posts
Hi Nicole,

The Bjork one isn't strictly full screen so it would be a case of finding an extension to do this. In the buildr template, it would be a case of loading it in a full width module position

It is a background video as in it doesn't resize in height and width - normally the content would become shorter as it became narrower. I will test our extension in the morning to see if it can do this.
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicole Beeckmans
Moving to your (digital art gallery)

Are you wanting a gallery of images that click to open as a pop-up?
Or say one big image that changes if the smaller images are clicked?

or do you want a gallery with image thumbnails in the background?

Adding parallax to focus2 would be problematic to do given the background of that design

buildr does have animation options but not the image gallery with thumbnails in the background

With the two templates, focus2 does have a couple of unique features not available in buildr but buildr is the much newer design and contains lots more features generally
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The last bit would require an external extension from Joomla extensions section as this is outside of the extensions and the template we offer unfortunately

extensions.joomla.org/

This is a tricky one as it is something I've not had to do for years - I'll have a think about this
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
paulus103 wrote:
Moving to your (digital art gallery)

Are you wanting a gallery of images that click to open as a pop-up?
Or say one big image that changes if the smaller images are clicked?

or do you want a gallery with image thumbnails in the background?

i actually would like to tinker a bit with focus2 the way as it is in your demo: repetitions, variations on a same theme (like in music if you can translate my idea) : series of tiny little images, and as well, medium size thumbnails in two or three colomns (or rows): i mean: multiple options for the viewer, to get at the 'high definition' image (full size image), appearing ISOLATED the background then dimmed (faint transparency and very dark) isolated but not 'pop-up': like on some of your build.r or focus.2 page demos !

but i want to be able to tinker a bit by myself to discover the possibilities of either focus or buildr. i need to invent something: i am artist, and i want to build a website which matches my "secret hidden artistic" purposes.

it's nice if you or support can help me in case i need help, of course. and of course, if i cannot find the extension, or the right customization, i am ready to ask in a proper manner for your help, (if you said you are willing to think about my issues from tomorrow morning)..
paulus103 wrote:

Adding parallax to focus2 would be problematic to do given the background of that design

buildr does have animation options but not the image gallery with thumbnails in the background

i would like to understand something: i never did html like in joomla! etc: could you tell me if it is NEVER possible to work with layers, like in photoshop: the background image (be it video or still image), then the template, like say "focus2", BUT on top of it all: the parallax : you seem say it is problematic, or is it out of the question: impossible, is it a matter of developing (a special code?), or rather only fine tune and customizing the focus or build.r template?
  • Nicole Beeckmans
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 46 posts
Hi Nicole,

We offer support for configuration of templates and extensions.
Memberships also come with some customisation support e.g. we provide assistance with basic / moderate CSS changes to a design or extension.

Adding functionality to templates commonly falls outside of membership support - functionality meaning changes or additions to php code.

The focus gallery with the thumbnail images + plus background slideshow and a download option in one layout are specific to this template.

Buildr can offer all these features but not all at the same time.

What I would bear in mind is with using images as a background it does involve a tradeoff between file size and image quality.

Focus2 is more restricted in the options you have to work with compared to buildr

Buildr does allow the drag and drop of positions to different rows, animation, styling option, width controls etc and is generally a much newer template.
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
With lots of features, it does depend on how you plan to implement them

A template only has so much functionality but the site itself can extend its functionality by installed modules, plugins or components

e.g. parallax could be added by a module if used in Focus2 while buildr can add it via the template

Although the fewer extensions you install the more secure and speedier the site is
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Generally speaking buildr allows a lot for freedom in a design than Focus2

Inside buildr is several sub themes which allows the easy creation of new template styles
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Talking about layers is a complex subject in regard to websites as it depends on how you view layers. In general coding terms, there is something called z-index which determines what content displays in what vertical order

However, as a person who works with photoshop regularly, this is nowhere near what photoshop offers (I work as a digital photo restorer in my other job)

With the templates you can see we have elements sitting on top as per focus or buildr but parallax is a little different in how it works code and functionality wise

With Parallax as with most things it depends on how you plan to use it - as I mentioned above you could use parallax inside a module position on focus2 using the zentools2 module but not via the template

With Buildr you can use it via the template or via a module

As I've mentioned Buildr will give you more flexibility in pretty much everything other than the background gallery found in focus2

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
paulus103 wrote:

With Buildr you can use it via the template or via a module

As I've mentioned Buildr will give you more flexibility in pretty much everything other than the background gallery found in focus2

Cheers
Paul

ok Paul: your explanation was full, i subscribed with "removed" to the 6months support possibility. thanks see ya. Nicole.
  • Nicole Beeckmans
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 46 posts
Hi Nicole,

just checking but I can't see that email on the system

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
paulus103 wrote:
Hi Nicole,

just checking but I can't see that email on the system

Cheers
Paul

seems subscribed with "removed" - just downloaded zentools - build.r etc -
have sent a request of contact for follow up into our conversation/development - waiting answers from you to start talking in private. regards,
Nicole.
  • Nicole Beeckmans
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 46 posts
Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the update

I don't have access to that email so will need to chase that up tomorrow with the site owner

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Nicole,

Can you forward that email to me?
We seem to have a slight glitch on our internal messaging system at the moment

Thanks
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I have removed the email addresses from this post as well

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers