Support Forum

• Page:

LOOKING for someone to customize a JB template

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Looking for someone to customize a Joomla Bamboo template. Eventually looking for periodical ongoing template help but for now just need one edited/customized.

Preference to someone that can work with php as well as css.

If you are good with troubleshooting Joomla extension conflicts that would be a plus ;) but primarily looking for someone to work on template design.
  • Robert
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 35 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Just wanted to let you know we have responded to your ticket in this regard

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Robert,

If you can let us know what you want to do, maybe we can help.

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
In general would need help creating new module positions, changing css of elements. But would also appreciate a walkthrough of the JoomlaBamboo templates to figure out how all the css and php files connect.
  • Robert
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 35 posts
Hi Robert,
If you post some specific details here Im sure we or other JB Members could help give you some idea of costs.

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Robert,

I would echo what Anthony says. You can get a lot of help here. We all need it sometimes. And the guys from JB are great, it's one of the the main reasons we use them.

As I said in my last reply, if you want some help then post some details, and maybe we can help with the particular requirement you have now.

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Thanks Richard,

I'm thinking that it might be good to set up a developer referral page. Could you guys perhaps send me a bio and some details and I will add you guys first to the list?

Thanks!
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
OK, please

see attached PDF for details
  • Robert
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 35 posts
Does attaching PDF file work?
  • Robert
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 35 posts
PDF no go...
Here is copy & paste version

Template tasks …

Create block with two module positions. 

One - 2/3 of block

Second = 1/3 of block

Incorporate “YouTube responsiveness” into template

Walkthrough = avexdesigns.com/responsive-youtube-embed/

There are Bootstrap themes editors online that I would like to make use of. Would like to upload to the template but not sure where to upload or if the styles will be overwritten by the template.
Can you make this mesh?
Example: 
paintstrap.com/

How do I … ?

How to create a block with varied module positions?

Splitting the blocks in the Joomla template T3 interface creates equally spaced module positions, but I would like to have varied sizes.

How to create block with collapsing module positions?

If a module position is empty it should collapse and near-by positions should take over.

Can other options be added to ThemeMagic?

Wondering what’s the extent of ThemeMagic… can just about any css property be added to ThemeMagic?
Would like to have “background color” be one option.

Seems like style is controlled by various sources.

Trying to understand the layers of style and what takes priority. General explanation / walkthrough would be nice.

Where should style edits be made? 

Noticed that there are files in Templates/Themes/Theme_Name

-variables.less
-
template.less
etc…

Is this the best place for template edits?
  • Robert
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 35 posts
Hi Robert,

A few questions there, which I will answer in a slightly different order to the way you posted them.

1. The T3 framework which underlies JB templates is Bootstrap based, and if you look hard enough you will find the css files that relate to that. No need to touch any of those.

2. Almost all CSS custom edits should be done in custom.css. These act as overrides for anything the JB guys have created, and always make a good starting point. This can be found in templates\template-you-are-using\css.

3. Theme Magic essentially deals with alterations to the colour scheme of the main elements such as links, navigation etc. Fonts are dealt with separately in the font section of the template back end. To set general styles you need to follow a formula which allows you to set colours, fonts and page styles and then apply them to particular parts of the final site by assigning them to appropriate menus.

4. Collapsing particular elements - setting how modules and page elements line up is done using the responsive settings in the template. You can dictate how those module positions look using the responsive settings in the template back end. then saving them appropriately. So you could make a row of modules 4 wide on a wide screen and two wide on a tablet or mobile, for example. We tend to work hand in hand with Firebug to view the pages and see what actually happens. When you reach final page views you are happy with, you can then debug them in other views this way to make sure they look ok.

5. YouTube video responsiveness. Although I haven't done this, it looks pretty straightforward to implement. It's only a case of creating an appropriate class and adding it to the framework.

6. Backgrounds and overall colour themes. You can of course set everything as you want. Sometimes a particular client will request things way different from the original wireframe. We find that careful use of custom classes on top of the JB frameworks will allow us to do pretty much everything. The underlying structure is so good that you end up tweaking particular things in custom.css rather than throwing everything out. If you imagine a lot of edits, use one of the minimal templates like zenbase to build up the themes you want.

7. 2/3 - 1/3 module - Why don't you use two grid rows? Just a thought. It is possible to stack modules on top of one another, but that does not really work when it comes to getting a responsive result. To help you we would have to understand exactly what elements you wanted to place and the result you wanted to achieve. It might be you can get the result you want using zentools or a similar tool set to display your output.

8. General guide - Have you looked here? docs.joomlabamboo.com/getting-started/. This is the starting point for understanding the T3 based templates. You could also download a quickstart package to your local host which will give you a good idea of how the JB guys suggest you might go. Someone else may be able to tell you if there is a short video as well.

9. If you want something more of a walk-through, then, depending on where you are, we could maybe set up a Skype session or a Google hangout to help you on your way.

I hope this all helps...

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Last Edit: 10 years 2 months ago by richarddhill.
Richard thanks for the information.... I don't see your Skype ID otherwise I would ping you. Please feel free to Skype me to further discuss details and hopefully get some work started.
Would also like to know your rates and other such details.

My Skype ID is robertbseattle.

If anyone else is interested in connecting send me a message, still looking.
  • Robert
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 35 posts
Hey Robert,
Let us know if you need any further input from us.
Cheers
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers