Support Forum

• Page:

Modules not showing up

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

A common issue I have been seeing recently is the issue where a module will not not appear on a site at all - despite all of the settings being correct. One of the main reasons why this occurs is because the module itself isnt assigned to a menu item. This is a common reason for modules like jbfaq not showing up when you use the loadposition plugin.

So the fix or the check for this is to assign the module to a menu item using the list on the bottom left of the page when you are editing the module details.

The easiest thing is to set it to all menu items and then you will know for sure that it should appear. Once you get it appearing on the page then you can be more selective about where you want the module to appear by hiliting specific menu items.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
I dont think I understand what you wrote, can you tell me step by step how to get the JB FAQ module to work? I followed this tutorial: extensions.joomlabamboo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=100001 - but still not working!

Anthony Olsen wrote:
A common issue I have been seeing recently is the issue where a module will not not appear on a site at all - despite all of the settings being correct. One of the main reasons why this occurs is because the module itself isnt assigned to a menu item. This is a common reason for modules like jbfaq not showing up when you use the loadposition plugin.

So the fix or the check for this is to assign the module to a menu item using the list on the bottom left of the page when you are editing the module details.

The easiest thing is to set it to all menu items and then you will know for sure that it should appear. Once you get it appearing on the page then you can be more selective about where you want the module to appear by hiliting specific menu items.
  • Urala
  • JB Pro
  • 4 posts
Hey there,

Let me know what version of Joomla you use, and if you have any of the JB FAQ displaying at all. I'll details some instructions for you.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Hi Jason, I'm using Joomla 1.5 and none of the JB FAQs display.
  • Urala
  • JB Pro
  • 4 posts
Hey again,

Let us take as an example a list of 5 questions and their answers that you wish to add into the JB FAQ module and publish.

Now each Q&A pair is created as an article. The title of the Article is treated as the question(anchor) and the content of the article is treated as the answer(body). The five Q&A articles need to be created under the same Section and Category if it needs to be in the same FAQ module.

Fingers crossed, you're still with me :)

Let's assume you have the articles ready and you know the section ID and category ID for the articles.

-Go to your module manager and find or create a JB FAQ Module.

-Give it a title and make sure it is enabled

-Assign it to a position in the list or type into the box a custom position you wish to create.

-In the menu assignment, Ensure that it is assigned to the necessary Menu items where you wish to use the FAQ module.

-Focus now on the Parameters to the right

-If you have another module on the page using jQuery then set 'include jQuery' to NO.

-Include CSS if you wish to use the associated style

-If you Q&A articles have been created with an intro section within, you can use the ReadMore function in the FAQ.

-Read More text will be the text indicating more content to the reader.

-You can set whether you wish to display the Open/Close buttons to expand the FAQs

-Set the Module ID to a unique ID if you plan to have more than one FAQ module. Every subsequent JB FAQ module you create should have a different ID.

-Count indicates the number of articles from the Section->Category that you wish to include in the FAQ. If you need to show 5 Q&A's then set the count to 5.

-Set the order of articles you want included from the Section->Category

-Choose the authors whose articles you want included.

-Leave Frontpage Items to Show.

-Enter the section and category ID's. You can get this from the section and category manager.

Save these settings.

Now

If you selected an existing position, you will see it in that position on any many item pages you assigned the module to.

If you created a custom position (eg: faq), then you can create a content item or got to an existing content item you wish to add the FAQ to and simply type
{loadposition faq} where you want it to display.

Save and preview your site.

If you do not see the Module still, try setting 'Use JQuery' to NO in the module parameters.

Let me know how you progress with this.

Cheers,
Jason.

-
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Jason,

I had done all the steps you listed, but your concise explanation really helped me doublecheck.

I am getting "{loadposition faq}" when I click the menu item that is linked to my article containing that call.

I have all my questions/answers created with Section (FAQs) and Category (general) filled out correctly in the module.

I'm really at a loss as to why it's not working.

test site:
lancehaile.com/xcakeism
  • Exit2 Studios
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 2 posts
I've actually got the "close all" and "open all" showing, but no questions or answers are displayed.

I enabled the load_module_position plugin to get that working.

Any ideas what I'm missing to get the questions to show?
  • Exit2 Studios
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 2 posts
Hey there,

I noticed on your page that you have a different accordion FAQ module right now so I cannot say why JB FAQ isn't working for you.
I noticed that the site has jquery-1.3.2 being loaded by AccordionFAQ module.
JB FAQ uses jquery-1.2.6 but it is unlikely to break it.

Let me know again when you are using JB FAQ and if possible attach a screenshot of the module parameters too. Glad to help.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers