Support Forum

• Page:

What sort of tips and tricks do you want to see documented?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi Folks,

Following on from a discussion with one of our users I thought I would open this thread to see what are some common customisations you do with our themes that you need more information on.

If we can gather a list here we can flesh out the docs some more with some more details around making changes for you.
Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aadil
Hi Anthony,

For now, I think the following may benefit a number of users (including myself):

1. Info. on changing the background image/color/pattern/gradient of the entire template.
2. Info. on adjusting the height and width of certain divs or content sections where your 'grid' positions are generally allocated.
3. Info. on changing the background image/color/pattern/gradient of certain divs or content sections where your 'grid' positions are generally allocated.
4. Lastly, maybe some info. on adjusting the height & width of the menu.

(and maybe just list the compatibility of some of the above changes because, for example, CSS3 gradients are sometimes only compatible with a few of the new browsers)

Thanks Very Much.
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: manh
Hi Aadil,

Thanks for the feedback

1. Tricky one this as it will vary between templates - its an individual issue to each template although something to look for the starter template designs (intended as a blank canvas for people to work with)

2. Again bit tricky to do - height is dependant on device so a fixed height isn't really possible although min-height is
Width for positions we have this doc - www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/how-to-joomla/how-to-resize-position-widths-in-t3-templates
Also again individual templates will be different

3. It is an interesting area for us to look at - discuss perhaps the general structure of a template - how the wraps and containers interact and generally how to target them

4. Yes we could do that - something for us to look at - although again some templates are different :)

Browser support is a mine field :) - as it changes all the time
We target modern browsers and then work backwards - the concept is called "Graceful Degradation"

What browser are you using?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post your responsive - we appreciate it :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by manh.
As a note I mention this to users when discussing browser support

www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-drop-support-for-older-versions-of-internet-explorer-7000032437/
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

Not a problem, those suggestions were just at the top of my head. Yes, I can see how some of these changes are template specific but maybe it could be provided as an arsenal for users to refer to for each template (instead of needing to open a support ticket).

2. Yes, I see how there are height adjustment constraints but in terms of width, I was referring to adjusting the actual div containers that surround your grid positions (not the module positions themselves) because some of your containers are full-width and somebody might want to adjust it to fit the main-body width instead and vice versa.

Anyhow, those were just some ideas. I use Firefox but I also have Internet Explorer, Opera & Chrome installed.

Thanks Again,
Aadil
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
Hi Aadil,

Thanks for the feedback.

As Paul mentioned one of the issues is that the scope tends to increase a bit when we start to talk about customisation and it can be template specific .... however ...

We wrote this tutorial earlier this year:
docs.joomlabamboo.com/developer-tips/using-firebug-to-troubleshoot-css

And I wonder if we wrote some tutorials such as:

1. How to change the background of a module in Joomlabamboo templates using Firebug.

2. How to change background colour of a template using firebug.

I think if we wrote some more instructional docs showing people how to do something it might be more valuable in the long term.

What do you think?
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,

Sure, I get it. Yes, I think that would be great too - showing users how to target the div & module containers and maybe provide a few modifications that are possible when targeting them.

Thanks,
Aadil
  • Aadil
  • 292 posts
  • 13 Thanks
Yep sounds good so lets start off with:

1. How to create your own module styling by using a custom module class suffix. That will cover using Firebug or chrome inspector and go from there.

Cheers
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Saw this thread so want to suggest sh404sef. An essential component, but practical solutions from other Joomlabamboo users may be helpful.

Eg: I had problems viewing all the items of a K2 main menu category having unpublished and reordered some content. I couldn't understand why page '2' of 3 pages was not showing in category view. Eventually realised it was a sh404sef issue and not a K2 setting out of place. sh404sef had assumed it was the same content as page 3 and assigned a wrong duplicate url. Easy fix but took a while!
  • Philip
  • 12 Month basic
  • 272 posts
  • 4 Thanks
Thanks for the suggestion I will bring it up this evening in our daily meeting

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers