Support Forum

• Page:

Welcome Cyclists! - Lacuna + Google Maps

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello everyone,

I'm proud to share our latest work:
www.welcomecyclists.ca

welcomecyclists_cartanova.jpg

This not-for-profit site is a resource for Cycle-Friendly places to stay, eat and visit here in Ontario, Canada. On this project we worked with Sam Lewis (Moxie Maps) to implement a structure as follows:

- Joomla 1.5 with..
- Mosets Tree Directory --> Populating --->
- Google Maps Icons and Data via Moxie Maps -->
- ..extended to include category icons and ACL in the frontend with...
- JB Laucuna as the template layer.

The ultimate result: a platform that can render Google Maps and icons on-the-fly from directory categories, tags, search results, zip codes, etc. Really fun stuff and a lot of new code.

A nice flip side to this approach: by extending and hacking Mosets Tree a bit, we were also able to make mosets directory work as a frontend CRM (constituent resource management) tool; e.g, the not-for-profit organization can view 'unpublished' and 'published' listings on the fly, for specific locales, filters, keywords, etc.

I actually started out using Cultivate, which looked lovely and had a nice narrow vertical display ability (for mobile) but eventually moved to Lacuna to expand the horizontal feel and 'brighten' things up a bit with larger background imagery.

Both templates were a huge benefit over the Kinabalu option at Mosets - forms, for one thing, were much better styled here at Joomla Bamboo.

The platform had it's challenges but was pretty fun to work with. We're tentatively due to write up the case study for Joomla! Magazine next month.

Hope you like it!

- Andrew H.
www.cartanova.ca
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Andrew looks very nice - Two things I noticed if I can be so cheeky

A A bit I thought was a text resize option :) - I'm a bit Thick
The super large photo was a bit large for me with the horizontal scroll bars

Love the map :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul,

Thanks! The text-resize option (in the translucent side-panes to the blog articles) isn't really working yet - some sort of javascript issue, nothing big, it's in queue.

I'm not sure what you meant by the photo - did you mean the background image?

Thanks,
AJH
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Andrew

Me Being double thick :)

www.welcomecyclists.ca/featured-cycling/item/3-explore-niagara#itemImageGalleryAnchor

Its the left photo

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 1 week ago by manh. Reason: missed word out
Ah, you can blame the client for that, somehow :)

I'll have to write in a little rule into K2 to prevent lightbox image display from going too big. What, you don't like double-monitor-size photos? :)
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Ha-ha, yes a client favourite that one.

Maybe consider a plugin like this? www.imnotplayinganymore.com/Joomla/imgResize-plugin.html
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
I think I should just be able to write that behaviour into K2 or the server-image-upload conditions without too much trouble...

Nice link though; I could actually get a lot of use out the SIG Edit (Simple Image Gallery Caption-Editing Widget) plugin - nifty and quite a bit more client-friendly!

Best,
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Andrew,

Had a quick look for the extension in the brackets it seems like its been removed from JED?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I've never used it - but I like the idea - editing SIG captions directly could be quite useful for non-technical editors in particular.

That said, if it's got some sort of security or GPL issue, its out, of course.
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Very functional and attractive site - will give it a " Very Good " grade!
  • marrett
  • 12 Month basic
  • 145 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Thanks Marret!

Nice note on this - we're bringing this functionality into 'Weever Apps' now. We've set things up so that a user can 'tag' any article in Joomla! with a location, and then display that info on a GPS-->Map, in their app. The user sees the map and markers, and can select and swipe a marker to view the full article, video, images, etc.

So instead of using moxie/mosets, in this method we're just tagging Joomla! content. For starters, K2 because I know it best, but JSeblod and more soon as well..

Both methods have their advantages; Moxie/Mosets is very strong on search, but Weever is of course, mobile- based with GPS options. I'm hoping to make both ways of setting up these kind of maps more easily available and a little easier to do without hacks soon.

Best,
Andrew
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Okay, big update!

1 - Weever Apps is now *free* for Joomla! (& Wordpress) :)
weeverapps.com/free

Announcement here:
us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c8b4ec0d2c228de32a5feb25a&id=f8d7e8a13c

2 - For this thread: We solved the 'mobile maps' question - here's how it works:

In Joomla! & K2, create an extra field for 'location' and add it to your posts. That's it! With Weever Apps installed you can create a GPS-enabled mobile map of any articles in your Joomla! site, displaying custom map makers by tag, category, individual article, etc.

As you update the articles, the map updates in real time. Choose a maker on the mobile map and the view slides over to read the article.

Right now, this is only out for our 'premium/pro' tiers and Joomla! + K2 (1.5, 1.7) - but I am working on a way to extend it to more cck's and hopefully, Joomla!'s native content-management.

If anyone is interested in helping out, I'm also looking to find some open-source methods to post to Joomla! *from* mobile and record GPS at the same time. We've got that working for Wordpress now, and it's pretty cool -

You can just walk around, take a photo, post to your site and the mobile/GPS map updates in real-time.

Best,
Andrew H.
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Thanks for letting us know Andrew.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Nice website guys.

I wonder if it is possible for Joomla 1.7....

Mike
  • mow
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 272 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Thanks Mike,

For 1.7, I don't see any reason the moxie/mosets mashup wouldn't work, with some potential tweaking of the hacks we used for ACL.

In terms of Weever Maps; that works for 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 out of the box.

Best,
Andrew
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Small update to this thread - we're releasing a 'nearest to me' feature for Joomla! & K2 & Weever Apps soon.

How it works: The mobile visitor opens the app, and the 'nearest' location-tagged K2 items display by proximity, automatically. Fun stuff :)

We've also setup developers.weeverapps.com - in theory any public-facing extension can be produced in 'mobile app format' using our new API now; including Moxie Maps.
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
sounds nifthty :)

Thanks for the update

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers