Support Forum

• Page:

Photography Website (Grid2)

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi all,

I recently signed up with Joomlabamboo and love the template designs. I have just uploaded my first site using one of the club templates (Grid2) for my 2011 update to my photo website.

The site is located at www.dc2photography.com

Comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

One issue I have that I see no work around is the large space on my landing page below the slideshow above the welcome message. This seems to be created because of not publishing anything in the main content for that particular page. I don't want to change the CSS for the main row as I don't want to effect the rest of the site which publishes the main content. Its something I can actually live with since I formatted the layout to have the top of the landing page to render for smaller monitors like laptops and IPads and the extra space assures the lower content is kept below the fold.

I'm also struggling with the jb_flickr module as the flickr images are not loading in Fancybox and I'm only getting the grey overlay. I'll post a separate post in the appropriate support forum subject for this.

One final issue I had was the SEO friendly links not working once I transferred the site from my local host on my laptop to the web server. The links would not work until I disabled SEO from the Joomla back-end. This seems to be an on going problem with my sites and I suspect its related to my hosting service.

I have a few projects I plan on using the templates for and look forward to working with the club templates and extensions on them.

Regards

Don
  • roinuj
  • 12 Month basic
  • 99 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Don,

Welcome to Joomla Bamboo!

The first issue I think can be resolved with a setting in the template backend. Go to the template settings and under the tab 'layout' there is a setting called "Hide main content / component area on the frontpage?" if you set that to 'yes' it should fix the front page layout for you without affecting the other pages.

For the SEF links in Joomla you also need to enable the option below that as well, mod_rewrite, *and* in the root directory of your Joomla install you need to rename the file htaccess.txt to .htaccess (note the period). That should enable the links to get rewritten properly.

Let us know if that resolves those issues for you. Thanks.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Thanks Seth,

1.) I already had the "Hide Main Content/Component area on the front page?" feature set to YES. It doesn't seem to remove the space. I thinks it the padding for the .mainRow .containerBG. I'm resisting changing them as I don't want to effect the balance of the site.

2.) The SEO settings and changing the .htaccess worked.

Thanks

Don
  • roinuj
  • 12 Month basic
  • 99 posts
Hi there,

Yes it is the mainrow thats still getting output.

The hide main content only works on the default menu item for the site.

Do you have the frontpage override enabled? That might do it for you.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,

I did have the front page override enabled. I also tried it with the override disabled but it then rendered the content panel which I do not want for the the frontpage.

It looks like the padding for the .mainRow and .containerBG that is fixing the height and needed changing. I ended up tweaking the theme CSS to override the padding for the front page with out too much change for the other pages. After some trial and error, I ended up adding the following at the bottom of the theme.css:

.mainRow {padding: 0px 0 0;}
.mainRow .containerBG.width980 {padding: 0px 0 0;}
#bottomShadow.width980 {height: 10px;}

Seems to works and I like the look much better. So far it doesn't seem to break anything else on the other pages.

Thanks for the help and the suggestions.

Don
  • roinuj
  • 12 Month basic
  • 99 posts
Thanks for that.

Glad you sorted it but not quite sure why it was displaying anyway if the override was enabled.

nevertheless ... good luck with your site :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony,

Not a big deal making the changes. A little trial and error.

Great template. I'm very happy with the out come.

Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to your future designs.

Regards

Don
  • roinuj
  • 12 Month basic
  • 99 posts
Thanks Don. :)
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers