Support Forum

• Page:

CartaNova Web Design & Marketing - ZenGrid

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello! Here's our own web site for CartaNova Web Design & Marketing, built on the first edition of JoomlaBamboo's ZenGrid Template. The site utilizes K2 and a touch of CSS3. We're an ecofriendly web development and wind-power web hosting firm.

We're always interested in feedback! Structurally, I'm not sure if we're going to keep the 'home' page, or simply merge it with our services page - interesting site architecture question.

Thanks,
Andrew J. Holden
CartaNova
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
I really like the site - Only thing I'd say is I'm looking for things to click and I expected to be able to click the different blocks or their headers and go to a new page.

I also didn't realise the trusted by section took you to some of your work for a while. I'd make sure people can see your work as its very good.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul.

That's really great, helpful, feedback. I'm going to have to spend some time thinking about making links vs. non-links, and our portfolio, more apparent.

Best,
Andrew H.
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
no worries - I wish I had your design skills

Regarding your site - At Uni I was told to remove the Joomla generator tag - reduce chance of hack but not sure if it makes any real difference these days.

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Wow thats beautiful :)

My only comment is that the newsletter takes up a lot of space above the fold. Its very powerful like that but is that the most important thing on the page.

I really like the way you have implemented this - tweeting it now :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
@ Paul

Thanks! For the design we wanted something that matched our future-oriented vision toward environmentally-friendly technologies and initiatives, as well as something that reflected our rural heritage and wind-power web hosting.

It looks a while - I was originally considering something more along the lines of Renaissance-Era works by Lorenzo Lotto and some of the more illustrative Star Maps by Cellarius.

I appreciate your compliment. Getting to a good point with design has been the result of a lot of hard work and feedback. My first web sites were *very ugly*.

@ Anthony

Thanks! Nothing is better than a professional compliment :)
My only comment is that the newsletter takes up a lot of space above the fold. Its very powerful like that but is that the most important thing on the page.

Since the purpose of the site is to generate web development leads (contacts, inquires) and we update our Green Community Blog & Newsletter pretty often, it initially seemed to make sense to heavily emphasize the newsletter on the site.

I usually follow up then, with any new subscribers that may be a good client for our services (usually people in the Renewable Energy or Green Business Sectors). While our conversion rate is near 100%, we don't see a lot of new contacts this way.

So at the moment, I'm actually considering dropping the current home page entirely in favour of the 'services' page. We're doing some A/B testing on it with Google site optimizer right now. Generally, I'm in agreement with the Steve Krug / Boagworld position on simplicity and clarity in the user experience, so I think we'll likely go that route.

Thanks for the Tweet! We love your work here at CartaNova!
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Andrew J. Holden.
Great site Andrew. This post on being REMARKable is really good.
  • jjohnston
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 139 posts
Great site Andrew. This post on being REMARKable is really good.

Thanks jjohnston! You might like this one too - we get the most positive feedback from other web developers from this article: cartanova.ca/green-community-blog/item/29-how-much-should-a-web-site-design-cost?

We're also planning to launch an Open-Source / Joomla! / Magento developer's blog in early 2011.
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Andrew J. Holden.
Site Update:

We launched our new 'Code Labs' page, using a nifty Page-Class-Override Trick with ZenGrid. Instead of using the default 'Page Class' function (found in a Joomla! Menu Item's Parameters) to modify *content*, we used it to modify the ZenGrid template on-demand.

Primary Blog with Windmill Background:
cartanova.ca/green-community-blog

Code Labs Blog with Mountain Background:
cartanova.ca/code-labs

How we used the Page Class Suffix to Modify ZenGrid on the Fly:
cartanova.ca/code-labs/item/93-joomla-page-suffix

We also updated the site with a cross-browser compatible CSS @font-face Logo:
cartanova.ca/code-labs/item/94-css3-font-face-logo

- Hope that's useful info.

Andrew H.
CartaNova
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Nice collection of tricks there Andrew, thanks for sharing.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hello,
Just discovered this (sorry for being late).

I really like the immediate impact this site makes on you! Great job. Before diving into specific content, you get a sense of what you're about through the bright visuals. And once you're in, it all works really nicely.

I'm currently designing a site for an environmental group, and I am looking for the same kind of immediate impact. Your site is definitely an inspiration.

Thanks for sharing,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Matthew,

Thanks so much!

I think there is still plenty of room for improvement - for example, we'll probably bring the menu down under the header graphic to make navigation a little more intuitive, and I think we can merge the 'home' and 'services' pages on most sites these days.

...but we're pretty happy with how it came out. A large debt, of course, is due to JB and the 960 Grid System. We have a few more sites that recently launched or will launch (don't worry Bamboo - haven't forgotten I still need to license the copyright on those) - and I'll forward to posting them here and getting more feedback.

@ Matthew

We *only* work on 'green' business/not-for-profit web design and marketing projects, so we've got lots of experience and tips there. If you ever should want to talk about having us help with consultation or whatever, just let me know.

Thanks!
Andrew H.
CartaNova
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Andrew,
Thank you to you! I'm always glad to make connections like this, and I have always found that I share a certain aesthetic with the people here at Joomlabamboo.

Actually, the "green" group I'm working with right now is fast becoming my biggest client. I'm still developing their site, but I wonder if there might be some way for us to connect on certain green missions.

Let's keep in touch,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Matthew, great - I look forward to talking to you!

You can find me on LinkedIn here: www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-holden/2/599/3b

My blog is: www.cartanova.ca/green-business-blog

I also have a 'green web developer' thread on ATAAW:
www.alltogetherasawhole.org/group/businesses/forum/topics/any-other-ecofriendly-joomla

and tips & tricks for Joomla! at our 'Code Labs':
cartanova.ca/code-labs

..and finally, check out our HTML5 Web App from --> Joomla! project, Weever - BETA and new site soon!
www.weever.ca

I'm also looking for an intern / Joomla! web designer to add to CartaNova (employee owned, progressive) in the next few months. I don't know what your status is (I haven't seen your site) but if you're interested, let me know.

Best,
Andrew H.
CartaNova
  • Andrew J. Holden
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 95 posts
  • 2 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers