Support Forum

• Page:

Another GRID site - Wedding Cakes

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Below is a link to a new Grid site we just launched:

http://www.weddingcakesbyesther.com

We are launching somewhat prematurely because the client needed the site up before she attended a big wedding convention. We probably have another 100 cakes to load into the subpages (and I need to re-work the thumbnails so they load better). I am having some overall speed problems. I tend to run rokGZipper on most Joomla sites I do, but had some conflicts with Captify. Any suggestions?

Let me know what you think of the site....
  • marksa
  • Previous Member
  • 9 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
ok, after posting this I decided to tweak somethings and managed to mess up the Captify on the front page. How many times do I have to remind myself not to mess with sites when I am tired?? :ohmy:

I would appreciate if anyone help me figure out what I did to it. Right now the Captify is in one long column (1x12) instead of 4x3. I have not opened the mod_captifyContent at all. I was mostly playing with plugins and cache. I am going to crash and then mess with it in the morning. Thanks in advance!

Alexis
  • marksa
  • Previous Member
  • 9 posts
Sorry for the delayed response Alexis,

You have it all fixed now I see. B)
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Seth & Alexis,

When I viewed your site this morning (my time - EST), I saw the issues you were having but could not come up with a quick solution for you, sorry. However, like Seth mentioned, I see you corrected the problem. Would you care to share with all what you did to bring your site back to normal?

Ed

p.s. thanks for sharing a link. Early this morning I was enjoying some of that virtual cake... 'mmmmm'
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Ed.
Unfortunately, I do not think it is fixed. When I saw your posts, I got excited and saw that it was back to 4x3. However, when I went back to confirm what I thought I had done before posting it to the group, it is doing it again. It is interesting because it is only doing it intermittently. That has made it very hard to troubleshoot.

I wonder if might have something to do with the filesizes and timing out? I have had several problems while building this site with balancing having quality images with the load speeds.

Can you check it a few times and see if it reverts back to the 1x12 on your browsers? I have checked it in FF, Safari, and Chrome (clearing both Joomla temp cache and browser cache). When it goes to the 1x12, it will do so at the same time on all three, then be magically fixed on all three.
  • marksa
  • Previous Member
  • 9 posts
Alexis,

Ya, it's back... ugg! Give this a shot, adjust your width ratio to something like 0.9, 0.8, 0.7 or 0.6. I've had to do this with Captify & bambooBox in the past to get everything to fit just so. Also, tell Captify that you have 'more' images/articles then what you actually do. Example: if you have 8 actual images/articles being displayed in Captify, make your setting 9, 10, 11, 12, etc. Between these two adjustments I've always been able to get my Captify and bambooBox images to play nice with my Grid theme(s). Again, let us know how your getting along with this.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
ok, just made the adjustments and it looks good. Lets see how it looks in ten minutes :-D

Thanks for the quick responses.

I have four other sites I am going to launch soon with Joomla Bamboo templates (sketch, organica, woodflower, and praise)
  • marksa
  • Previous Member
  • 9 posts
Ok, the last few times I have checked it, the site was good and in a 4x3 layout.

can anyone else check to confirm?

http://www.weddingcakesbyesther.com

If it is in fact fixed, all I did was go into the JB Library plug-in and disabled lazy image load.
  • marksa
  • Previous Member
  • 9 posts
Hey there,

Site looks good once it loads but seems to take a long time. What stuff have you got running on the front page?

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
This is what I had on the first page:
- Captify Content
- MicroBlog (slide 1)
- Jumi (Adsense) (Slide)
- Custom HTML module (slide 2)
- Constant Contact signup form (Slide 3)
- jTweet (slide 4)

Just disabled the Adsense and it seems to be performing better. Can you check on your end? Also, there is seems to be a big difference in load times on Chrome/Safari/IE vs FF (slower). Any ideas?
  • marksa
  • Previous Member
  • 9 posts
Hi,

You may also want to consider slimming down some of the items on your site. The banner for example, is 182Kb! I would switch it to a .jpg and shave that right down for starters.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers