Support Forum

• Page:

Correct permissions for captify, prettyslider etc

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

A common issue that we see on the forums and the captifyContent, prettySlider, prettyBox and minimoo2 galleries are incorrect permission set on the cache folder.

When you see a link where the image should be its basically displaying the alt text where the image should be because the browser cant access the folder where the cached and resized image is stored. This folder is called imagecache and is located in the modules/mod_captifyContent/ folder (in the example of the captify Module).

If this occurs its actually highliting an issue with your server configuration and a mismatch between the user (joomla) and the owner of the files on the server (which should also be joomla but is often not). If you set the permissions to 777 then this will in most cases solve the issue but it leaves the folder vulnerable.

In general the correct file and folder permissions should be as follows:
Files: 644.
Folders: 755

Anything more than this will make your site vulnerable from a security point of view.

In order to fix this you need to talk with your host about configuring the the correct settings for the ownership of the files and make sure that the owner of the imagecache folder is the same as the user that is configured as the owner of the Joomla files.

This is by far the most common issue we see using the captifyContent, prettySlider, minimoo2 and prettyBox modules.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi,
Changed permission, I have full ownership.
Still showing Content Article instead of photo with Captify content...other modules work fine.

Very strange,
Best,
W.

Anthony Olsen wrote:
A common issue that we see on the forums and the captifyContent, prettySlider, prettyBox and minimoo2 galleries are incorrect permission set on the cache folder.

When you see a link where the image should be its basically displaying the alt text where the image should be because the browser cant access the folder where the cached and resized image is stored. This folder is called imagecache and is located in the modules/mod_captifyContent/ folder (in the example of the captify Module).

If this occurs its actually highliting an issue with your server configuration and a mismatch between the user (joomla) and the owner of the files on the server (which should also be joomla but is often not). If you set the permissions to 777 then this will in most cases solve the issue but it leaves the folder vulnerable.

In general the correct file and folder permissions should be as follows:
Files: 644.
Folders: 755

Anything more than this will make your site vulnerable from a security point of view.

In order to fix this you need to talk with your host about configuring the the correct settings for the ownership of the files and make sure that the owner of the imagecache folder is the same as the user that is configured as the owner of the Joomla files.

This is by far the most common issue we see using the captifyContent, prettySlider, minimoo2 and prettyBox modules.

Thanks Anthony
  • walter
  • Free Extensions
  • 1 posts
Hey Walter,

Do you have a link to your site that you can share? It would be easy to diagnose what is going on.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Hi, I am experiencing the same issue.

Do you have any additional steps I can look at?

thanks.
  • Joel Basham
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 18 posts
Hi Joel,

I've also received a ticket from you and from your site I can see that the problem seems to be with certain variables corresponding to your server setup.
I'll respond to you in the ticket when I've fixed this one.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Hi, I have the same problem.

Hi, I've downloaded and installed the Praise template and I have problem with the thumbnails.
As a mater of fact, if I use the mod_prettyBox or the mod_captifyContent, I just see the link to the images but no thumbnail.
If I click on the link, the images opens in the lightbox, so I guess it's not an image problem.

I've alse changed the permissions to the folder, as described in this post, but nothing changes.

Where I'm wrong?

Thanks.

Thomas ;T
Attachments:
  • Thomas Mantero
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 15 posts
Hi Thomas,

Can you post a link?

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony Olsen wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Can you post a link?

Thanks Anthony

Sure, you can see it here: 79.170.44.115/newdigitalimage.it/ndi1/

;T
  • Thomas Mantero
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 15 posts
Hey Thomas,

Could you log us a support ticket with some joomla and ftp log in details?
The problem seems to be in the image paths with 'newdigitalimage.it/' in it. The resizer does not like that but I'd like to have a closer look and work out a fix.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Jason D'Souza wrote:
Hey Thomas,

Could you log us a support ticket with some joomla and ftp log in details?
The problem seems to be in the image paths with 'newdigitalimage.it/' in it. The resizer does not like that but I'd like to have a closer look and work out a fix.

Cheers,
Jason.

Done.

;T
  • Thomas Mantero
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 15 posts
Same problem here - y.site11.com/
tried to change module folder(including files and subfolders) to 777, but no luck
whant can i do next?thanx
  • Gediminas Venclova
  • Previous Member
  • 5 posts
Hey Gediminas,

Not entirely certain as to what is going on as I can access the script and the image but the resizer only responds with the link and no image. Try setting the imagecache folder to 755 permissions and also delete all the cache files within that folder except the index.html file.
Let me know how that works.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Just tried to change permisions and deleted inside of the imagecache but it didnt worked. i send you a ticket 20min back so you can try to access to ftp and joomla
thanx
  • Gediminas Venclova
  • Previous Member
  • 5 posts
hi,
first sorry for my english, i'm french...
i got the same troubles with pretty box, no thumbnails. i changed the permissions on 777 no way.
i use organica template, graphicly very interessent but i had many conflicts with jquery.
i wasted a lot of time on those troubles, tryed other galeries like yoogallery, fine but no lightbox on IE...
i'm graphist, not a technician i'm not in ability to enter in code
I need simple way to show my images
thanks a lot
Sébastien BRAUN

url of page with pretty box
www.lestudio.nc/www/index.php/themes-graphiques.html
  • Braun
  • Previous Member
  • 5 posts
Hey Sebastian,

Looks like the site is in a subfolder www and the prettyBox module cannot find it.
I suspect that you are not using the latest prettyBox module which identifies the path automatically. If you do have the latest files, log me a support ticket with some joomla and ftp details and I will investigate why this is not working for you. It certainly does not seem to be a permissions issue.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
HI Jason
I use the version i found in template grid, i don't have latest version.
i send you a ticket with joomla and ftp details.
I got question about pretty box : may i show thumbnail with same height but two different Width, it's very important for me cause i need to show image in portrait and in landscape mode.
if it isn't possible, do you know an easy way to work with yoo galery without conflict.
i tryed it last week, it suite me cause i can control independently height and Width of the thumbnail. it worked fine on firefox and safari but in IE the image appeared in simple page, not in shadow box... I was very desapointed and wasted a lot of time to learn finaly that jquery ant mootools causes conflicts... as i wrote you last time i'm graphist and anable to enter code.
thank you for your answers
regards
Sébastien
  • Braun
  • Previous Member
  • 5 posts
i got some newz, it was in fact the trouble with the subfolder. it work fine now but i can't find the way to display two different sizes of thumbnails (same height but two sizes for width).
i show you an exemple on the same page www.lestudio.nc/www/index.php/themes-graphiques.html
the first galery is pretty box and the second is yoo galery, fine but no shadow box on IE ??? what the issue to this trouble ?
what's the better way for me ?
Thanks for all
Sébastien
  • Braun
  • Previous Member
  • 5 posts
Hey Sebastien,

That's great. I'll have a look at your ticket and respond about your second issue.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
I Jason
sorry but you don't respond my second issue
Pretty gallery works fine now but i can't find the way to display two different sizes of thumbnails (same height but two sizes for width).
i show you an exemple on the same page www.lestudio.nc/www/index.php/themes-graphiques.html
the first galery is pretty box and the second is yoo galery, fine but no shadow box on IE ??? what the issue to this trouble ?
is there a way to use Yoo galery (more flexible for this page) without conflict?
what's the better way for me ?
Thanks for all
Sébastien
  • Braun
  • Previous Member
  • 5 posts
Hi Braun,

Not entirely certaion what you are asking. Are you asking us to trouble-shoot Yoogallery?

PrettyBox seems to be working fine now.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers