Support Forum

• Page:

Public support?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi Guys, I have an issue wit the Newstream theme (www.joomlabamboo.com/forum/newstream/103352-jb-newstream-homepage-broken)
BUT this turned from public to charged (min. 45 AUD). I know, work must be payed - but this is not a manner to cope with somebody (IMHO). I don't charge my customer for this research and the time I spend to fix it....

Best regards

Torsten
  • Torsten Silbermann
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Torsten,

There are a few reasons why we charge for support but in the case of a bug I would be happy to help.

If though in this case the issue has just suddenly appeared then it's not likely to be related to the product. eg if it was working a few days ago and now it is not then it suggests that there is some other factor influencing the situation. So in those cases it's not really fair for us to cover the cost as well.

At the moment I get a server error on your link - is that the issue you mean or is it something else?

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony, thanks for your help - i this case i can't do anything... :-/
the pflegedienst-rockstedt.de is the url (homepage) where nothing happens but the urls underneath that (pflegedienst-rockstedt.de/kontakt are still working.
I found out that a local MAMP Installation is still working when i'm not connected to the internet - could be a javascrip issue (using a public library) with the tabs on the newstream homepage (i deactivated the slideshow, tabs aren't visible on local installation but the tab-content is below each other).
Best regards and thanks for looking into it,

Torsten
  • Torsten Silbermann
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Hi Torsten,

I think you may have misunderstood. I was saying that if the slideshow and theme was working fine a few days ago then it's unlikely that it's related to the theme.

My guess is that your server updated php and it's causing the issue.

If you turn on error reporting in your site admin it will show the issue. That error occurs with server side issues and not front end eg javascript issues.

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,
I tried a lot to make sure that there is no php issue or something like this. I installed a backup from one year ago, I installed a local Installation, so it can't be a Server php-issue. As I described in the last post - turning off the internet connection let the theme work again (on MAMP). I turned on error reporting, but I have no tools (except firefox) to see error report. Using a different theme fixes the issue. I know your Newstream theme is working on your demo page, but if stuff is not updated, it may crash sometimes. In this case the "lifetime" of the website is 3 years - thats not much for a kind of premium product. It would be really helpful for me (if you don't like to look at this problem) to get an updated version of this theme and the components comes with. Paying 85$ a year just to get support in case of an crash that may be related to the (3 years) old theme-version may be nice for you, but no customer will pay that...

Best regards

Torsten
  • Torsten Silbermann
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Torsten Silbermann.
Hi Anthony, meanwhile B) there is an google-maps plugin update. That was the problem... So if you use google maps on youre Newstream theme on frontage - please update ;)
Du you think I should my customer charge for this? ;)
Best regards

Torsten
  • Torsten Silbermann
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Torsten Silbermann.
Hi Torsten,

As I said before i am happy to help if it's a bug in the theme or the module.

As yet we have not found out if that's the case.
Using a different theme fixes the issue.

This makes it sound like a module issue then given that the other theme would have different module positions.

I know your Newstream theme is working on your demo page, but if stuff is not updated, it may crash sometimes.

What I meant was that if your site was working a few days ago - which I assume it was - then it's something on the server or something else that has changed.

Testing on mamp may well yield different results if Mamp has a different php version etc to you server.
So if you use google maps on your Newstream theme on frontage - please update

Which maps module did you use? and if you display the map in the default theme does it cause the same issue?
Do you think I should my customer charge for this?

It's up to you I guess. How much time did you spend on it and how valuable is your time?

Most freelancers I know charge clients for updates to their site.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,

I just thought (as ONE - possibility) it could have something to do with the theme...
The google-map plugin is tech.reumer.net/Downloads/ Maybe its often used in joomla installations.

Bes regards

Torsten
  • Torsten Silbermann
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Ok thanks for letting us know.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers