Support Forum

• Page:

Best avatar competition

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi folks,

I thought I would post a bit of a fun competition here (well it is Saturday night) ...

Basically all you have to do is respond to this thread by saying Hi and we will give a free 12 month subscription away to the poster with the best avatar.

The winner of the competition will be chosen by our forum mods and the competition will be decided next Friday 25th June, 2010 - based on the following criteria:

The avatar is fun. It has to make at least one of us laugh. (Lex's photo of him and the donkey is a good example - Ive got a soft spot for donkeys.)
The avatar is personal. So it needs to be or include an image of yourself.
The avatar is a little different. Thats purposely a little vague :)

The winner will be announced here and on the blog next Friday. So post away :)

Both current and non members are able to enter the competition. If you arent currently a member then you will need to grab a free subscription on the subscription overview page:

www.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-bamboo/template-subscription-overview

Thanks Anthony

Here is the blog post about the competition:
www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/about-the-club/avatar-competition-win-a-subscription
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Anthony Olsen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi
Great idea Anthony!
What do you think about my avatar? It is detail of stained glass window made in our studio.

The window could be seen
on website created with great JB Avanti template - of course :)

Regards Tomasz
  • witraze
  • 12 Month basic
  • 346 posts
  • 20 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by witraze.
Since I can't be considered for this 'competition', I still wanted to jump in with my new avatar. Oh... those were the days!

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi!
  • LexSpringfield
  • 12 Month basic
  • 7 posts
Hey,
My avatar says much about me. I'm a writer for dog magazines. And that image is of my goofy but intelligent Standard Poodle -- Kramer.

Sadly, Kramer died two years ago. Still haven't recovered fully from the loss, but having Kramer as my avatar makes me smile instead of feel sad. I hope it does the same for others.

Anthony, this avatar contest is a terrific idea! You're correct about a technical forum benefiting from member connections and fun. You have really creative people here, and if we can get everyone to connect more we could help each other better. That would be amazing.

Thanks for all your great work and ideas,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Besides building websites I am actually a crazy artist with 2 dogs and 2 cats. There was a story run in the newspapers here in New Zealand about a "scientific study" (yeah right lol) as to what is better, Cats or Dogs? As an owner of both I was interviewed as a commenter for the story. Lucky my pets all like each other but still, getting 4 animals to pose for a photo was a mission but we accomplished it! The journalist wasn't sure the story was even going to be run.

Next morning I got a twitpic via twitter and the photo had not only made it to the front page but also the Posters outside corner stores and news stands. So I am sharing my moment of fame with my avatar :silly:

Nice idea guys! Gotta love Joomla Bamboo :cheer:
  • Amie McCarron
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 92 posts
Amie,
Sounds like we may have some stories to discuss!
Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
been wondering what to do with that pic taken when fooling around with Photo Booth way back when I got my iMac... come on admit it - you have a few yourself :blush:

keep up the great work guys.

cheers
Neil
  • neil
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 7 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by neil.
Hi Anthony,

Well i've been meaning to change my avatar for ages after yours and Jasons last comments when I posted my original avatar on my other profile 'shreddie' but unfortunately my developers license has run out (waiting to get paid on 4 jobs, hence im now 'skint shreddie'!)

So here's my attempt to win a new license!!

I've attached my old avatar in the hope to jog your memory....

Cheers, Leon

• skint shreddie
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 13 posts
Better late than never! I've been meaning to do this all week... and now it's nearly midnight on Friday - so hopefully I'm just in time.

Wanted to put something up that summed up the massive (but great) juggling act that my working at home journey has been! I find myself sitting at my computer some nights surrounded by the kids - their homework on my left - school forms on my right - dinner on the stove - wishing i was padding up a river somewhere with a fishing rod in hand!! But wouldn't swap it for the world :)

So glad I found Joomla Bamboo - it's made a pretty hectic work-life - so much easier, and I can't wait for each new month to roll-around so I can see what excellent new template Anthony has in store for us!!

The house is quiet and I've finally managed to get this Avatar uploaded.... bed time...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Emily Pearce
  • 34 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Thanks so much for everyones contribution here. Its great to read your stories too. I decided to let the decision rest with the team over the weekend so Ill announce the result on Monday. That gives anyone else a chance to enter too.

Stay tuned :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hopefully this isn't too late....

This is a picture of me and my boys. I had come home late for some reason and was eating dinner after the rest of the family had already finished. After a few bites, my youngest son decided to come up to the table and stand on the chair next to me. On my next bite, he leaned over and just opened his mouth wide, expecting me to feed him with my fork. No words, just a wide open mouth. Fortunately my wife had the camera ready when he did it again a second time. It's a great representation of the three of us.

- The youngest - always eating and always being goofy
- The older brother - laughing and egging his younger brother on
- Me - trying to figure out where my boys get their silliness (my wife has her suspicions)
  • Erik Scottberg
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 65 posts
Not sure, if it is already too late or not...

First steps in the Joomla pool with the helping hands of the JB guys...
  • Peter Schreck
  • 175 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Peter Schreck.
I know, I'm to late. But hello to everybody :-)
  • basti_online
  • Previous Member
  • 88 posts
Hey folks Im happy to say that the Bamboo crew have finally lodged their votes for the avatar competition and the results were very close. Because the results were so close I've decided to give away second and third prizes as well.

Id like to thank everyone who participated in this little fun exercise to break the spell of tax time. We'll hold another comp in a few months perhaps :)

So .... Ladies and gentlemen the moment you have been waiting for .... drum roll please ....

The winners are:

3 for Lex - 12 month subscription
2 for Skint Shreddie - 6 month subscription
1 for Erik - 3 month subscription
1 for Peter - 3 month subscription

You should all happily find the extra time added to your accounts.

Thanks Anthony :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hello,
Congratulations to the winners! Nice work!

Anthony, this was a great idea to have some fun in the forum.

Even for those who didn't win, I think it was great to tell the story behind our avatars. Maybe we could have a discussion -- not necessarily a competition -- where people explain their avatars?

Thanks Anthony for putting this together.

Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Thanks so so much Anthony, Jason and the team for my subscription, im absolutely over the moon!

Some of you have probably seen the yearbookyourself.com website and have recognised my avatars, for those of you that haven't it's worth checking out.... hilarious, so here's another one from my collection,

Thanks again guys, you really have made my day, week, month....

Leon
  • skint shreddie
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 13 posts
Wow,... Thanks a lot Anthony & JB Team.
  • Peter Schreck
  • 175 posts
  • 3 Thanks
I appreciate the concern which is been used here. The think need to be sorted out as it about the individual but it can be with everyone.

Home
  • allen424
  • Free Extensions
  • 1 posts
Hmm not quite sure I follow?
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers