Support Forum

• Page:

FITVIDS - how to use?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have installed quickstart for the Vintage template and so I also have K2 up and running. I want to insert a video and did so using K2, but it did not appear. Does FITVIDS automatically work with K2 - please clarify...

and thank you.
  • davidgeffen
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 45 posts
Last Edit: 11 years 4 months ago by davidgeffen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
In the fitvids parameters you have to add a css selector for the plugin to target.
If your video is wrapped in something like <div class="my-video"... you would add .my-video as the selector.

If the video is not appearing then obviousley this needs to be fixed before you can use fitvids
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Thank you. I am new and learning quickly... but I don't fully understand your answer... Maybe I didn't ask clearly. Here's the Q in a different way. If your answer above fits the question below, please can you explain in a little bit more detail what I need to do - thank you.

In K2 Edit Item, I chose the media tab and embedded some code for a youtube video. It appeared in the area under the embessed code, but not in the content area or the web online... what more needs to be done?
  • davidgeffen
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 45 posts
Yes, this is what I mean. If the video is added to the content and not showing on the site, then we need to find out why it is not showing before you can use fitvids.

If possible, always post a link to the page so we can help you faster.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
I didn't add the HTML to the content (as I used to), rather to a tab saying media... I figured that would be the right way to do things, and automatically FITVIDS would do its job... Why have a tab called MEDIA if I am supposed to embed the HTML directly to the item (article)?
  • davidgeffen
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 45 posts
I am not saying you should add the html to the article. I am asking you to provide a link to the page so I can find out why it is not showing.

Fitvids is not designed specifically for k2 content, you still need to supply a css selector.
As I stated before, fitvids is probably not the cause of the video not showing, all it does is make videos responsive. If you turn off the plugin your video will probably still not display.

I cannot help you further without a link to your page.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
here is the page www.ThePeaceProcess.com - and the video should show within the Sunflower Epiphany article - thank you.
  • davidgeffen
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 45 posts
Hi David,

The sunflower epiphany article is not k2 content

www.thepeaceprocess.com/index.php/joomla-related/content/category-list/207-sunflower-epiphany

This is a joomla article that was inserted as part of the demo content. The only k2 item I see on your site is this page

www.thepeaceprocess.com/index.php/k2-joomla-template/k2-item
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Thank you.

1. Thank you for your patience... I was trying to edit that article from the ITEMS editor in K2.

2. In the joomla article editor I placed the embedded HTML into the article and the video still did not appear (I of course used the HTML editor)

:(
  • davidgeffen
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 45 posts
I think mce and jce editors usually strip this code out upon saving.

I can see object tags in your article though. What is the code you are adding to the page?

K2 might be a better option if you are reguarlly using video, otherwise there are some good video plugins such as allvideos you can use to get around the editor problem.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
It seems to me to develop my Vintage template I don't need K2. It was basicly done in regular joomla. Yes?

I will try out allvideos - thank you.
  • davidgeffen
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 45 posts
There are 2 quickstart packages available, with or without k2. K2 is a 3rd party component and not part of core joomla but it is very popular so we provide template overrides to support the styling of it.
There is also a media and iframe plugin for the jce editor which you might find handy.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Allvideos worked in 30 seconds - thank you.

1. Am I 'giving up' for just working with joomla?

2. I couldn't find an option to define the frame to be displayed on the webpage before the video is played... Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!
  • davidgeffen
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 45 posts
Hi David,

1. Its really about what you need to use. If K2 has the featureset you need then by all means but for most sites Joomla is enough.

2. That gets determined by the video providers as far as Im aware. Might be somewhere to adjust that setting at the provider itself but pretty sure its not possible via the plugin.

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidgeffen
From what I remember, this will let you add a cover image to the video, but it is a module and you will have to upload different versions of the video to let it work on all browsers.
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/multimedia/multimedia-players/video-players-a-gallery/14836
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers